Beethoven's contemporaries - mp3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's contemporaries - mp3s

A new series featuring the work of Beethoven's contemporaries. This first mp3is the delightful first movement from Carl Czerny's symphony no.6. For members who have forgotten the password to access this page, please contact either Chris or myself - you could also use the private message facility on this forum.

www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/mp3s.html
    'Man know thyself'

This is a wonderful symphony, beautifully built. The performance is very commited and the sound is top-notch. I recommend this cd, and others of Czerny's symphonies, without second thoughts.
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

I'm not sure of the date this symphony was written, but it has a Mendelssohnian feel about it!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hi Peter,
        It was written in 1854 (M. died in 47?), but yes it does!

Comment

Thank you Rutradelusasa - I'm a little surprised by that date being so late
          The work has definite early Romantic influences and I would have put it around 1840.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            A new series featuring the work of Beethoven's contemporaries. This first mp3is the delightful first movement from Carl Czerny's symphony no.6. For members who have forgotten the password to access this page, please contact either Chris or myself - you could also use the private message facility on this forum.

www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/mp3s.html
            Never heard any Czerny symphony before, but this movement surely tastes like more! It's not particularly original or modern, but just very well crafted using the classical structure: stimulating to the heart and to the brains. The ominous slow introduction is also very exciting - almost sounds like Bruckner.
            I wonder why Czerny's symphonic output is so unknown these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankli View Post
              Never heard any Czerny symphony before, but this movement surely tastes like more!
              More you'll get .
              Originally posted by Frankli View Post
              It's not particularly original or modern, but just very well crafted using the classical structure: stimulating to the heart and to the brains. The ominous slow introduction is also very exciting - almost sounds like Bruckner.
              I wonder why Czerny's symphonic output is so unknown these days.
              I guess he became too hated by anyone who played the piano .

Comment

Hi, am still discovering more of Ferdinand Ries' works,

after I was altogether thrilled by the piano concerto in Ab from 1826 "Gruss an den Rhein" I got now the CD
                http://www.amazon.com/Ferdinand-Ries...8016446&sr=8-3

The variations on a swedisch song and the first movement from the concerto on c# are just amazing. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed these works today. Now I want to get to know also his symphonies...

What I also discovered and extremely enjoyed is the second piano concerto from Mozart's son (!!) Xaver from 1818. It is just so wonderful - very much like his father!!

Gerd

Comment

Gerd;

Hyperion has a fantastic series of recordings called "The Romantic Piano Concerto." It features many works by composers who are not household brand names. I highly recommend this series.

CPO has recorded all 8 of Ries' symphonies, and various recording companies have recorded 4 of the 6 Czerny symphonies. You can hear that both Ries and Czerny were influenced by Beethoven. If I am not mistaken, one of Ries' symphonies was performed in a concert that featured the first performance outside of Austria of Beethoven's 9th symphony.
                  "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

To all members - please be aware that this thread was first started a year ago and that these mp3s are no longer available.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Peter

Please inform how can i get free download of bethoven symphonies?

Comment

Peter;

Recently, a new contact on the Internet sent me MP3 files of Joachim Eggert's (1779-1813) symphony in C-major. Eggert championed Beethoven's music in Sweden and conducted the premiere performances of Beethoven's 1st and 2nd symphonies in Sweden. How may I get the MP3's to you so that everyone in the forum may enjoy Eggert's artistry?

Avishai

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                          Peter;

Recently, a new contact on the Internet sent me MP3 files of Joachim Eggert's (1779-1813) symphony in C-major. Eggert championed Beethoven's music in Sweden and conducted the premiere performances of Beethoven's 1st and 2nd symphonies in Sweden. How may I get the MP3's to you so that everyone in the forum may enjoy Eggert's artistry?

Avishai
                          It is very kind of you to offer and you can send them via the contact page on the main website. I'd be delighted to host them, however we have not had much response when we tried to feature other mp3s here so I leave it up to you to decide!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter;

You will have to guide me through this as I can not find the icon for attaching files. Or maybe you could contact me via e-mail.

Avishai

Comment

I would certainly be very interested in experiencing Eggert's Symphony!

Comment

Working...
                              X