'Copying Beethoven'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heidi:
    Well, I went to the screening last night in Chicago and was truely impressed. I loved the movie, and so did my husband who is not quite the Beethoven fan I am. Ed Harris was outstanding!! He really convinced me that he could be Beethoven. Diane Kruger was great too and although it was a little hard at first knowing she was not a real historical character, the part she played brought out what I think Beethoven was like in real life..difficult, harsh, sloppy but also caring, spiritual and brilliant, (and I can't leave out humorous, some parts had me laughing).

Bravo!! I give it two thumbs up and hope it makes it into more theaters.

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
      Well, I went to the screening last night in Chicago and was truely impressed. I loved the movie, and so did my husband who is not quite the Beethoven fan I am. Ed Harris was outstanding!! He really convinced me that he could be Beethoven. Diane Kruger was great too and although it was a little hard at first knowing she was not a real historical character, the part she played brought out what I think Beethoven was like in real life..difficult, harsh, sloppy but also caring, spiritual and brilliant, (and I can't leave out humorous, some parts had me laughing).

Bravo!! I give it two thumbs up and hope it makes it into more theaters.
      Thank you Heidi for that great review. I'm so glad that you liked it! It's wonderful that Stephen brought out his sense of humour as well as all those other qualities. Do you know how long the movie was? I am really looking forward to seeing it tonight!

------------------
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
        There will be an advance screening of the film in Newport Beach, CA, for the Orange County Film Society, after which I will do a Q&A. Tuesday night, Nov. 7th, at the Regency Lido at 7:30, if anyone is in that area.
        Stephen, how did your screening and Q&A session go on Tuesday?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          Thank you Heidi for that great review. I'm so glad that you liked it! It's wonderful that Stephen brought out his sense of humour as well as all those other qualities. Do you know how long the movie was? I am really looking forward to seeing it tonight!

The movie ran just about an hour and 45 minutes, but to me it flew by because I was enjoying it so much. We waited about an hour before seeing it (since it was a screaning). People in line that we chated with could not beleive we drove from Michigan to see it. But my husband and I just made a nice day of going to Chicago. I hope if and when it is released on DVD it will be the full movie with all the cut scenes.

Comment

The eloquent review of my friend who saw it in San Francisco:

""Copying Beethoven" sucked beyond belief. Seriously.
            Godawful. Great score though."

Comment

Originally posted by gardibolt:

Oh dear. Is there really such a word as ""Godawful"? The score: Goes without saying, surely.....

Comment

It was an exciting evening last night and you could feel the anticipation throughout the theatre. The movie was excellent! Ed Harris was brilliant! The location shots were exquisite! The story was powerful and moving and the music well, that goes without saying. I agree with Heidi that Diane Kruger’s role really brought out Beethoven’s characteristics. His anger and power, his tenderness, genius, and sense of humour. Without another person to talk to they might have had to resort to voiceovers. He talked about his feelings, his work, his life, his music and composition. This way the audience could hear him vocalize what he was trying to do and his relationship with God. Ed Harris’s performance was incredible. He made us believe we are seeing Beethoven. You could hardly find Harris on the screen. The entire 9th Symphony segment is so powerful and outstanding that the audience applauded after this which is midway through the movie. The ending scene is so tender and beautifully written you had tears. The audience laughed at all the right moments and you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet at times.

Afterwards, the ushers were taking surveys from the audiences and the reaction was very positive. Lots of people thought Ed Harris was superb and should win the academy award, also that the music was phenomenal, the editing was great because the sequences flowed nicely from one scene to the next especially the editing of the 9th Symphony which was about 9 minutes but was very well done as you went from one movement to the next rather quickly, and that the story line was very powerful.

Ed Harris was interviewed on the local morning show and he loved doing the part. He had no idea Beethoven went through so much suffering for so long and respected him for getting all that great music out even though he was not a well man. He also talked about having to gain 40 lbs. for the film, wearing the brown contacts and the metal piece in his nose, and how he had to take some piano and violin lessons and conducting lessons for his role. He also mentioned that one of the fun parts of doing the film was having hair again!

The reviews are in this morning paper, ’Magnificent’, US Weekly says ’Terrific’, The Seattle Times says ’Exquisite’ and the Greenwich Village Gazette says ’See it, this is one of the big ones for the fall’.

Hope you all get to see it! Good job Stephen!!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gardibolt:

Whatever reservations a thoughtful, articulate person might have about the film, this characterization is not accurate. It is, however, interesting how opinion is divided. For example, the LA Times critic disliked the film, but the New York Times critic loved it. I think this is because we are trying to do something unusual for film: portray a man's intimate relationship with god and his struggle, through loneliness and pain, to create a language to express it for others. Nobody gets murdered or mutilated, nothing blows up, there is nothing salacious. It is, instead, a spiritual journey into music and the implications of genius. This the New York Times critic understood, and I thank her for it.

On balance, however, audiences embrace it. But let's try to keep the discussion civil and rational.

[This message has been edited by srivele (edited 11-11-2006).]

[This message has been edited by srivele (edited 11-11-2006).]

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    Stephen, how did your screening and Q&A session go on Tuesday?

It was very enjoyable. The Orange County Film Society, a knowledgable audience of cinephiles, who liked the film and stayed afterwards to ask intelligent, interesting questions. I have accepted their invitation to speak at their festival next spring.

Comment

I attended the first showing of the film at my local theater in Pasadena, the Laemmle Playhouse. The theater was full, and the audience really enjoyed the film. They laughed at the right places, gasped at the end of the 9th sequence, and applauded at the end. So it was a gratifying experience. I listened to the comments later in the lobby, and they really seemed to have grasped what it was we were trying to accomplish.

How long the film remains in the theaters depends on how well it does at the box office this weekend. We hope for the best.

Comment

I am again indebted to the site. The New York Times critic, Manohla Dargis, found out about the film here, located me through the site, and did research for her review by reading the postings (she refers to them in her review). She then wrote a wonderful review of the film, which has helped us a great deal. You can read it in the Friday, Nov. 10th NYT.

So, once again, this site has proved a valuable resource, not only for the film, but for all those who wish to learn more about the Maestro, as we call him in the film.

Comment

We thank you, Stephen. Having you talk about your movie and consider our input has been a wonderful opportunity to spread appreciation of Beethoven, one of the most important goals of this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                            We thank you, Stephen. Having you talk about your movie and consider our input has been a wonderful opportunity to spread appreciation of Beethoven, one of the most important goals of this site.
                            Indeed, this has been a very anticipated movie on this site! Were it not for this site I would not be aware of it's existence even at this point.

Has anyone else here seen the movie yet? Any other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                              Initial box office figures are in, and the most important point is that the box office doubled between Friday and Saturday. That means that word-of-mouth is building, which may keep the film in the theaters. Thank you to all who have supported it, and to those who are urging others to go and see it. If this trend continues, the distributors will open the film in more cities, which is, I think, what we all want.

Comment

Originally posted by srivele:
                                Initial box office figures are in, and the most important point is that the box office doubled between Friday and Saturday. That means that word-of-mouth is building, which may keep the film in the theaters. Thank you to all who have supported it, and to those who are urging others to go and see it. If this trend continues, the distributors will open the film in more cities, which is, I think, what we all want.
                                How soon do you think the availability will expand? I am very anxiously awaiting a viewing in Salt Lake City.

Comment

Working...
                                X