Anhang 13 (Funeral March)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anhang 13 (Funeral March)

Well, folks, it's that time of year again when we in the UK observe two minutes' silence for our war dead at the Cenotaph, tomorrow morning at 11:00. As usual, the Funeral March, always announced as being by Beethoven, will be played as the Queen leads the laying of wreaths. This piece of music has always puzzled me as it seems to have no origin.

I've had some correspondence giving me a link to the piece in midi-form which is known as Beethoven's Anh.13. It's probably spurious but any information that anyone can shed on this piece would be greatly appreciated. Anh.13 is not listed at the Unheard Beethoven site. If we could pin it down, I shall write to the BBC telling them to give out the correct information in time for next year's service!
    http://www.lvbeethoven.com/_Sons/Fio...auermarsch.mid

[This message has been edited by PDG (edited 11-11-2006).]

It's an attractive piece and to my inexpert ears it sounds Beethovenian enough - but I've never heard it before. The opening resembles the funeral march from the A flat piano sonata. It could well be by the master.
    By the way, if you reverse the words "Anhang 13" you get "31 Gnahna" which makes no sense whatsoever and is of no help to you.

Michael

By the way, PDG, I've got broadband!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
      By the way, if you reverse the words "Anhang 13" you get "31 Gnahna" which makes no sense whatsoever and is of no help to you.

Michael

By the way, PDG, I've got broadband!!
      Michael, have you been drinking again? Broadband on the rocks??

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
        Michael, have you been drinking again? Broadband on the rocks??

"Broadband on the Run" is more my style. Sorry I can't help you with the Anhang 13. It's starting to bug me now.

Comment

"Broadband on the Run" is more my style.

I hope you're having fun!

This is better than Windows Messenger!

Comment

PDG, I seem to have killed your thread with an excess of silliness and my conscience is bothering me.
            Can anybody shed any light on this Cenotaph Funeral March. I think Rod is convinced it is spurious but where is he when you want him?

Michael

Comment

PDG, I seem to have killed your thread with an excess of silliness and my conscience is bothering me.
              Can anybody shed any light on this Cenotaph Funeral March. I think Rod is convinced it is spurious but where is he when you want him?

Michael
              The "Beethoven" Funeral March in B flat (listed as WoO Anh. 13) is by Johann Heinrich Walch, an early 19th century Kappellmeister at Gotha. An arrangement of it for windband by a certain Hartmann was released on CD, EMI CZS 5.68696-2, played by the Central Band of the RAF, conducted by Wing Cdr R.E.C. Davies. The recording dates from 1971. The CD (ADD) is part of a set of two CDs, entitled "The official British Legion Classical Album. Favourite British classics and Military themes Celebrating 50 years of peace in Europe" and was released in 1995.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                The "Beethoven" Funeral March in B flat (listed as WoO Anh. 13) is by Johann Heinrich Walch, an early 19th century Kappellmeister at Gotha.

So why then, Peter, would you suppose that the BBC, for which you pay, is allowed to give out false information every second Sunday in November?

Comment

Michael
                  No, Mike, you didn't kill anything. The lack of other responses is irritating though. For the publicly-funded BBC to be deliberately misleading people at such a sombre occasion is a real concern. Its remit here is being abused, and I will take the matter further.

I know where Rod is and he's fine. He sends his love!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                    So why then, Peter, would you suppose that the BBC, for which you pay, is allowed to give out false information every second Sunday in November?

Only every second Sunday in November?! Who'd of thought it of the dear old PCBBC.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 11-14-2006).]
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                      This piece of music has always puzzled me as it seems to have no origin.

I've had some correspondence giving me a link to the piece in midi-form which is known as Beethoven's Anh.13. It's probably spurious but any information that anyone can shed on this piece would be greatly appreciated. Anh.13 is not listed at the Unheard Beethoven site. If we could pin it down, I shall write to the BBC telling them to give out the correct information in time for next year's service!

Since we have pinned it down as being by Johann Heinrich Walch, have you written yet?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, Peter. I ended up emailing Radio 4. They said that it might confuse some people if they suddenly announced it was by a different composer. And that if not by Beethoven, the piece is probably by now known as "Beethoven's Funeral March in B flat" anyway, even though written by someone else! So there you are. Watch your TV this Sunday morning at 11 am to see what I mean. I suppose this applied mentality is a bit like the question put to two dim contestants on the 80s quiz show "3-2-1", namely; "Who wrote 'Handel's Water Music'. Answer given: Beethoven!

Comment

The above must hold some sort of record for the longest period between a question and its answer!

(I don't mean 3-2-1 but Peter's query and PDG's reply.)

Comment

I intend responding to Michael's post sometime in November 2008....

Comment

From the BBC website........

"The BBC's commitment to accuracy is a core editorial value and fundamental to our reputation. Our output must be well sourced, based on sound evidence, thoroughly tested and presented in clear, precise language. We should be honest and open about what we don't know and avoid unfounded speculation.

For the BBC accuracy is more important than speed and it is often more than a question of getting the facts right. All the relevant facts and information should be weighed to get at the truth. If an issue is controversial, relevant opinions as well as facts may need to be considered".

A letter to the DG perhaps.
                              Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Working...
                              X