Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PDG:
    [B] Suzie,

I`ve been so busy that I missed out on the earlier group hug. Can I have mine now please?

Well of course you can!

In my absence, it`s good to see that the old place hasn`t changed a bit! I am polishing my crash helmet in preparation for my full return to the fray in a few days.

And maybe a big bottle of wine, or is that the problem around here?

God bless us, every one

Comment

I once heard a quote about Mahler by a famous composer I've now forgotten. I went something along the lines of "He has moments of pure genius..surrounded by hours of absolute rubbish." Or was that Wagner. I don't know, neither have anything close to the abundant genius of the Master, L.v.Beethoven!!

Comment

I think the quote you are referring to is by Rossini with regard to Wagner - I think he said something along the lines of 'the most wonderful 15 mins and the most boring 3/4 of an hour' or words to that effect.

Am I right in thinking Beethoven admired Rossini's 'William Tell' ?

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

I think the quote you are referring to is by Rossini with regard to Wagner - I think he said something along the lines of 'the most wonderful 15 mins and the most boring 3/4 of an hour' or words to that effect.

Who ever said it, I would say this ratio of 'wonderful' to boring with Wagner sums things up fairly accurately. Too much is made of too little from this man in my opinion.

I know B said something one could construe as complimentary about the Barber of Saville.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 02-19-2001).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            [
            I know B said something one could construe as complimentary about the Barber of Saville.

[/B]
            Rossini once visited Beethoven and B did compliment him on the "Barber". He said: "I read it with great interest." Rossini, in writing about his visit, remarked that in Beethoven's lodgings there was a hole in the roof. He said (and I'm just quoting from memory): "There was I, Rossini, a successful and wealthy composer and there was this giant with a hole in his roof."
            Of course, Rossini later remarked that the Ninth Symphony "lacked charm except for the scherzo."
            Beethoven's remark about Rossini was more apt. He said a good kick in the arse would have turned him into a great composer.

Michael

Comment

I've also read somewhere that B was a little envious of Rossini's ability to churn out an opera a week (virtually!) and make a fortune into the bargain. It may have been Schindler who made that observation, can't remember !

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Do you disagree ?

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've also read somewhere that B was a little envious of Rossini's ability to churn out an opera a week (virtually!) and make a fortune into the bargain. It may have been Schindler who made that observation, can't remember !
                  I think the observation came from B himself. But how many of Rossini's scripts would have been acceptable to Beethoven! I suggest B would have been even more impressed with Handel's similar speed of production, considering the superior quality of H's efforts.

------------------

Comment

Do you disagree ?
                    I haven't heard enough of it to pass judgement. I think Beethoven allowed the Itanians their niche without begrudgement, he said the Italian temprement did not suit 'opera seria'.

------------------

Comment

This is interesting if true, because I used to think that the main theme of the finale of the trio, op.1 no.2, was a re-write of the William Tell overture, until I worked out that Beethoven`s finale was written before the overture!

------------------
                      Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                        This is interesting if true, because I used to think that the main theme of the finale of the trio, op.1 no.2, was a re-write of the William Tell overture, until I worked out that Beethoven`s finale was written before the overture!

You're dead right, Peter. I always noticed the resemblance.
                        Going completely haywire for a moment, has anybody noticed the "Gone with the Wind" theme in the middle of the slow movement of the Cello Sonata, Opus 102 No. 2 ?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                          You're dead right, Peter. I always noticed the resemblance.
                          Going completely haywire for a moment, has anybody noticed the "Gone with the Wind" theme in the middle of the slow movement of the Cello Sonata, Opus 102 No. 2 ?

Michael

This is confusing - which Peter are you talking to ? I've noticed a similarity between 'Gone with the Wind' and the slow movemnet of Elgar's 2nd Symphony - anyone else ?

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sorry - it was PDG I should have been replying to. I got confused between the two Peters.
                            I was referring to resemblances between pieces of music. The second movement of B's last cello sonata is in ternary form, and just as the flowing middle section comes to an end and before it returns to the opening theme, you can distinctly hear the piano playing the opening bar of Max Steiner's "Gone with the Wind" theme (or maybe it's just me). If both composers were still alive, Steiner should sue.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 02-22-2001).]

Comment

Working...
                            X