Another concert review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another concert review

Well, I went to another concert last night (Baltimore Symphony Orchestra). Beethoven's 4th Symphony was the main attraction, and boy, was it great. Tempos were right on, no mistakes, and I had great seats! There was also Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 2. It was well played, but I really don't like that piece too much. The only other piece was an original composition that was commissioned by the BSO and had its first performance on Friday, I think. It SUCKED. It was, well, Modern, and not in a good way (if there is a good way).

A funny thing, though. When that commissioned piece was over, I turned to my mother (sitting beside me) and said, "Boy was that a piece of crap!" Then the guy that was sitting directly in front of me stood up, walked up to the stage, and started talking about what it was like to compose that piece. So...yeah

Originally posted by Chris:

A funny thing, though. When that commissioned piece was over, I turned to my mother (sitting beside me) and said, "Boy was that a piece of crap!" Then the guy that was sitting directly in front of me stood up, walked up to the stage, and started talking about what it was like to compose that piece. So...yeah
    Seems like your mother is a woman of taste, though I should perhaps reserve judgement until you tell us what your mother thought of the Beethoven!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
      The only other piece was an original composition that was commissioned by the BSO and had its first performance on Friday, I think. It SUCKED. It was, well, Modern, and not in a good way (if there is a good way).

Once upon a time many moons ago I was in my local youth orchestra and after B's Emperor concerto with John Lill we played a piece titled 'At Bignor Hill' by someone I have never heard of since (anyone else?) called Robert Walker (I have his autograph!!) - it was a cacophony and an embarrassment as my parents and grandparents (not particular c.m fans anyway) were in the audience !
      This man continued to haunt us as he toured with us in Portugal and wrecked many an otherwise succesful concert with his damn Bignor Hill!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I bet Robert Walker is HUGE in Portugal.....at least bigger than you, Peter! Anyway, where the hell is Bignor Hill?

------------------
        Peter (PDG)

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          Seems like your mother is a woman of taste, though I should perhaps reserve judgement until you tell us what your mother thought of the Beethoven!
          Oh, she loves Beethoven. Handel too My father, on the other hand, hates classical music. Being a disk jocky, he likes to rock and roll! He once interviewed Emanuel Ax on the radio, and he started off by saying, "So, Emanuel - can I "Ax" you a question?" Oh well, at least I got to see him in concert that night! (My dad waited outside!)

Comment

Way to go, Chris!

I'm going to a concert Tuesday night, the highlight being B's 5th! Can't wait.

[This message has been edited by Suzie (edited 03-19-2001).]

Comment

I was attending the Spokane symphony one night with a former client, when it came time
              for a performance of a Brahms dirge. The piece was quiet, sorrowful, and full of angst.

Suddenly, a very old woman behind us started fiddling with a plastic bag she held in her lap. It was immensely distracting, and ppl started clearing their throats, squirming in their seats, and turning around and looking at her. But she was so old , (maybe even deaf?) she didn't even notice, and she went right on what she was doing.

Brahm's message was drowned out by the racket.

At the time it was highly annoying, but now
              I always think of it as the "Concerto for Old Woman with Plastic Bag". ~

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                I bet Robert Walker is HUGE in Portugal.....at least bigger than you, Peter! Anyway, where the hell is Bignor Hill?

It was 20 years ago now (my God!) - next time I'm in Lisbon I'll check out the Robert Walker museum!

Bignor Hill? I'm surprised at you PDG being from this sceptered isle - it's in W.Sussex. I'm even more surpised at this link I found!! : http://www.schirmer.com/composers/walker/bio.html

No doubt I've now put this composer on the map (as severe criticism tends to do) and you'll all be rushing to your local CD stores - Mr.Walker will awake one sunny morn to find himself top of the CM charts!

------------------
                'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 03-19-2001).]
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie:

I'm going to a concert Tuesday night, the highlight being B's 5th! Can't wait.

Let us know how it went Suz! The last time I went to a performance of the 5th (Symphony and Concerto) was a couple of years ago with The Berlin Symphony Orchestra (not the Philharmonic) - the Symphony was electrifying and the tempi spot on. I forget who played the solo in the concerto as it wasn't particularly memorable.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Actually, there were three old women behind us who would not shut up. It was lucky they went to restroom right before the Beethoven started, and were too late to be let back in. They missed the whole thing! Too bad for them, but great for the rest of us.

Comment

I went to a concert last Sunday of his
                      1st Symphony. The performance was held in
                      a church. Very beautiful. It doesn't seem that they play the first or second symphonies too often so this was a real treat.
                      Joy
                      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joy:
                        [B]I went to a concert last Sunday of his
                        1st Symphony. The performance was held in
                        a church. Very beautiful. It doesn't seem that they play the first or second symphonies too often so this was a real treat.
                        Joy

The Olympia Chamber Orchestra played the 1st Symphony at their annual Beethoven Birthday Bash. I got hooked on it real bad.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                          [B] Let us know how it went Suz! The last time I went to a performance of the 5th (Symphony and Concerto) was a couple of years ago with The Berlin Symphony Orchestra (not the Philharmonic) - the Symphony was electrifying and the tempi spot on. I forget who played the solo in the concerto as it wasn't particularly memorable.

I had a really good time. I was not accompanied by a squirming kid. The orchestra was comprised of high school kids and they did a great job. I was amazed and jealous. They also looked cute in their tuxes. By contrast, the flannel shirted audience looked like they just finished chopping down trees. I had to endure the brass band and some Schubert before they got to the 5th Symphony.Actually, the Schubert was not bad.

Whenever a large group of people get together and focus a mass of psychic energy on B, it's a very good thing.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris:
                            Well, I went to another concert last night (Baltimore Symphony Orchestra). Beethoven's 4th Symphony was the main attraction, and boy, was it great. Tempos were right on, no mistakes, and I had great seats! There was also Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 2. It was well played, but I really don't like that piece too much. The only other piece was an original composition that was commissioned by the BSO and had its first performance on Friday, I think. It SUCKED. It was, well, Modern, and not in a good way (if there is a good way).

[/QUO

Who's the composer, Chris? Oh, and I think I have heard the name Robert Walker before, I don't know where, though.

I don't think modern music is wholly bad, I think it just varies from composer to composer like in any other period.

BP
                            Freedom is Slavery
                            Ignorance is Strength
                            War is peace

Comment

Originally posted by BP:
                              Who's the composer, Chris? Oh, and I think I have heard the name Robert Walker before, I don't know where, though.

I don't think modern music is wholly bad, I think it just varies from composer to composer like in any other period.
                              George Tsontakis.

Comment

Working...
                              X