No announcement yet.

Another concert review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the good fortune of attending a Toronto Symphony Concert yesterday. On the program was a Vioin Concerto by Joan Powers(?) and The Ninth.
    After the first part of the program was endured, the music began in earnest. The first and third movements were fine, but the scherzo was electrifying! The highlight of the evening, not surprisingly, was the 4th movement, when the TSO was joined by 4 excellent soloists and the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir. The effect was something I've never gotten at home in front of the stereo, as much as I love my Claudio Abbado version. The orchestra and singers combined to produce a sound that was exuberant and an energy that was palpable. I had goosebumps!
    All in all it was a memorable evening and a real morale-boost, coming at the end of 5 months of Canadian winter.

Mary

Comment

I hear you, Mary. You have to experience the 9th in person, it is fantastic. I heard The Phoenix (AZ) Symphony play it a couple of years ago and they, too, had excellent soloists and a great chorus. The 2nd movement was so great that at the end of the movement the audience applauded instead of waiting for the end of the symphony all together but I guess they couldn't contain themselves, it was played so well. They're going to perform it again next concert season (2002) and I will attend. Am looking forward to it.
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

There can surely be no doubt that live performance clouds perception. I've not heard the 9th 'live', but I accept that when I do, it will bowl me over. Just the experience of 'being there' will tip the scales in favour of the orchestra/singers. The occasion itself will always more than make up for any idiosyncratic deficiencies, which may dawn on us later. I know that Euphony & Chrisg disagree, but the dress code & demanded attention at such concerts are all part of the experience, &, I believe, this is just as it should be.

------------------
        PDG (Peter)

Comment

As I read these various replies (I'm new here), I find a general dislike, or at least a large feeling of dislike, for modern music. Although, as a little aside, I like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Liszt, Prokofiev, Schubert, Rachmaninoff, etc. (you know what I mean) more than "modern" music, there is some good modern music out there. You just have to give it a chance. I find that enjoying "ugly" music (I know that sounds wierd) requires listening to lots and lots of "ugly" music; it's an aquired taste. Just like you have to understand a Picasso, you have to understand "ugly" music. Often, the purpose of "crazy" dissonance is to enhance the consonance that follows it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongutsi:
            As I read these various replies (I'm new here), I find a general dislike, or at least a large feeling of dislike, for modern music.
            That's putting things mildly in my case! It seems B has set the ultimate benchmark that will never be even matched subsequently. If it wasn't for Beethoven and also Handel, who I rate well above Bach or Mozart or the others in your list, I wouldn't even like classical music.

Originally posted by Mongutsi:

Although, as a little aside, I like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Liszt, Prokofiev, Schubert, Rachmaninoff, etc. (you know what I mean) more than "modern" music, there is some good modern music out there. You just have to give it a chance. I find that enjoying "ugly" music (I know that sounds wierd) requires listening to lots and lots of "ugly" music; it's an aquired taste. Just like you have to understand a Picasso, you have to understand "ugly" music. Often, the purpose of "crazy" dissonance is to enhance the consonance that follows it.
            If you lack talent, it is easier to create, and play by, your own rules rather than challenge the 'big guys' head on. Modern art as a whole suffers from this. Its purpetrators a laughing at us, and are taking money from those naiive enough to fall for it.

Regarding Picasso, I suggest a 'crazy' painting can never have as disconcerting an effect as a crazy piece of music. Paintings are relatively passive.

Now please excuse me, I must go, I'm working on my new sculpture. I'm calling it 'messy bed with shit on it and a cow's head.' I'll make a fortune with this one... when I find me a cow's head!

Rod

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mongutsi:
              As I read these various replies (I'm new here), I find a general dislike, or at least a large feeling of dislike, for modern music.

It depends what you mean by 'modern' - I can't think of anything or any composer that I admire post 1950, and even though I love many of the Romantic composers, I don't think anyone has equalled let alone surpassed Beethoven.

Often, the purpose of "crazy" dissonance is to enhance the consonance that follows it.

There's plenty of dissonance in Beethoven or even Bach ! Trouble with modern music is that there is no consonance, only dissonance - it just seems to be weird sound effects with little form or coherence.
              I wonder what you would recommend as good modern music?

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                If you lack talent, it is easier to create, and play by, your own rules rather than challenge the 'big guys' head on. Modern art as a whole suffers from this. Its purpetrators a laughing at us, and are taking money from those naiive enough to fall for it.
                I must say, I completely agree! Studying composition (as I am at the moment) is to me a complete bore. I have some jumped up post-graduate making me listen to some Xenakis (?) and saying how fantastic it is, and apparent the emotion is. Why oh why oh why can I not write anything with nice motif and proper harmony?

Why has writing music become so mathematical and scientific? What happened to writing from the heart? I had to endure a 3 hour lecture on some form of serialism, and the ways in which a 'tone clock' aid composition! I was falling asleep, however not only because of the extremely boring content, but because of a heavy night out the night before and 2 hours sleep!

Having said this, I am a fan of Steve Reich. Awfully nice chap! But I think this is because I understand why he does things. People like Xenakis I do not and do not wish to understand!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mongutsi:
                  [B]As I read these various replies (I'm new here), I find a general dislike, or at least a large feeling of dislike, for modern music.

Regarding the Violin Concerto I heard at the Ninth concert, I did listen to it with an open mind. Admittedly, I know nothing about modern music, so I listened to it as I would any other kind of music. I searched in vain for a melody, nor could I find a sustained rhythm. There were interesting bits to it now and then, but nothing that seemed to hold it all together. At least with modern painting, you can still appreciate colour, form, texture, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for in modern music.

Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Claire W:
                    .... because of a heavy night out the night before and 2 hours sleep!
                    Ah yes, I remember times like these.....the good old days.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      Ah yes, I remember times like these.....the good old days.

I think I am getting too old for the heavy night, 2 hours sleep thing! Them were the days. When I were a lass..........

Comment

Originally posted by Claire W:
                        I think I am getting too old for the heavy night, 2 hours sleep thing! Them were the days. When I were a lass..........

I'm the same - way passed it now at 38! However I have quite a few friends in their 20's who are very hard to keep up with - I'm starting to make excuses more often , such as I need to do more practice!

I've just been looking through the programme of our local arts festival (described as the best in the country!) which runs for 3 weeks in May - Its mainly full of contemporary music, Beethoven hardly features at all.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 04-18-2001).]
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Chris!!!!

YOU live in Baltimore! (Im just assuming)I live about 45 mins from Baltimore. Are you studying at Peadbody or something!!!!

Regards Your Friend,

Stout

Comment

Originally posted by stout:
                            Chris!!!!

YOU live in Baltimore! (Im just assuming)I live about 45 mins from Baltimore. Are you studying at Peadbody or something!!!!

Regards Your Friend,

Stout
                            No, I live sort of between Baltimore and Washington DC. I am not studying at Peabody (I wish I were!). When it came time to pick a career I took the computer engineering route. I still play the piano and the violin, though, and do some composing of my own in my spare time.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 04-19-2001).]

Comment

Working...
                            X