Summer is back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer is back!

It's 95 F today! I'm melting and wilting, and just come home and realized I didn't put out a bowl of water for the Birds...I feel guilty now. Sorry Birds...
    I have just done so- please put out water in your gardens and yards when it's hot and dry for the little Birds. They need it AS MUCH AS WE DO.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
    It's 95 F today! I'm melting and wilting, and just come home and realized I didn't put out a bowl of water for the Birds...I feel guilty now. Sorry Birds...
    I have just done so- please put out water in your gardens and yards when it's hot and dry for the little Birds. They need it AS MUCH AS WE DO.

I top up the bird bath as it is only small, they soon empty it all out when splashing about. It was the builders that are doing our guttering I felt sorry for, they were working in this sweltering heat. I supplied them with spring water and grapes, and cups of tea, which they were very grateful for.
    I like a proper good summer!
    🎹

Comment

Summer on the east coast of the USA is miserably humid. I'm already dreaming about winter!

Comment

I top up the bird bath as it is only small, they soon empty it all out when splashing about.
        How cute!

It was the builders that are doing our guttering I felt sorry for, they were working in this sweltering heat.

Yes, those blokes have it tough doing physical work in that heat.

I supplied them with spring water and grapes, and cups of tea, which they were very grateful for.
        I bet they were! That was kind of you.

I like a proper good summer!
        Me too, although it is a bit too hot for me right now ( menopausal so I get too hot much more quickly than I used to). The bus today was like a furnace- horrible. I have to carry my wooden fan around with me.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Summer on the east coast of the USA is miserably humid. I'm already dreaming about winter!
          I'd still rather have it like this than winter- heating costs me too much!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

We don't have the humidity here in the West, but we've been pushing 100 for the past several days. It doesn't seem too bad to me, but then I'm inside much of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              We don't have the humidity here in the West, but we've been pushing 100 for the past several days. It doesn't seem too bad to me, but then I'm inside much of the day.
              Ah to be living back in the land where A/C is everywhere. I live in Austria, the land where A/C is few and far between. I'm so glad that this summer isn't as hot as last year's all time record breaking summer temps. Vienna had daily temps (for over 2 months) averaging 95°F (35°C) and even got as high as 111°F (44°C) according to our outdoor thermometer. Unfortunately we live in a flat on the 4th floor without A/C and believe me when I say that I think that the temps in Hades were cooler than here in Vienna. Also in the last few years here in Vienna we have been getting some humidity on top of the heat as well. The outer walls of our flat love to soak up the heat and it heats the interior up so in summer it's hotter inside than out. I'm melting, I'm melting! What a whirl...

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Yesterday it was 101, today it's supposed to be the same (F), but I don't think it makes much difference from 95 to 105 if you don't have AC. Good luck with that! Maybe it's a good time to go shopping if stores and that have AC.

Comment

It's currently 89°F as well as humid in our flat. We live in a historically protected building so we are not allowed to have one of those "hang outside your window" American A/Cs. The only A/C options here in Austria are central air or these expensive A/Cs that you can only place near a window since you need to hang the condenser hose out of an opened window. Or if you're lucky you can cut a hole in the window pane to stick the hose through. But if you live in the historic building we live in, you are not allowed to cut a hole through the window pane. So the nearest place to our flat that has A/C is the Interspar a block away. Needless to say in summer my favorite place in the Interspar is the frozen food section.
                  "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

We don't have air conditioning in houses here in Britain either.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                      We don't have air conditioning in houses here in Britain either.
                      It didn't last long - for a few days it's hardly worth it!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        It didn't last long - for a few days it's hardly worth it!
                        We have fans if it gets too stifling, but that's not often, we leave the back door open, windows, or sometimes partly close the curtains for shade which I hate to do. But like Peter says, it is very short lived.
                        🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                          We have fans if it gets too stifling, but that's not often, we leave the back door open, windows, or sometimes partly close the curtains for shade which I hate to do. But like Peter says, it is very short lived.
                          Yes well on the continent of course they have shutters and often very thick stone walls - it's amazing just how cool this keeps their houses during the hot weather, but obviously dark.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The next 6 days are forecast to be 100 and over; fortunately, the humidity is low. Our season is a bit longer, so the need for AC is greater.

Comment

Lucked out today. Looking out the window after lunch I noticed a comfortably overcast sky and what appeared to be a bit of a breeze. (Hurrah for a high chance of occasional thunderstorms!) Stepping outside confirmed this. I quickly changed shoes, stuck in my ear plugs, and managed to mow the entire back yard before the cloud cover vanished. It took all of several seconds of scorching sun beating down on me to know the mow was finished.

Went back out circa 1930, sun low on the horizon, and finished the job. Was worried I'd not find a single day safe to mow in before grass and weeds grew alarmingly over-tall. We have heat warnings most days, sometimes excessive heat warnings. Not that today wasn't dangerously hot. It just wasn't quite as risky as usual during the times I mowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X