Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scales again!

Help with B♭ major scale.
    What is the fingering for left and right hands please?
    I have looked on youtube , but some start with 2nd finger on B♭ and some start with 3rd finger.
    I have to practice two octaves both hands together.
    🎹

Good to hear you're still practicing your scales Megan!
    L.H start with 3 (4th goes on Eb) - R.H start with 2
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Good to hear you're still practicing your scales Megan!
      L.H start with 3 (4th goes on Eb) - R.H start with 2
      Thank you Peter, I shall get on with practicing it now. Yes, I am still slaving away at practicing scales , arpeggios , etc. I might be slower than the younger student, but I work towards keeping it all evenly flowing with no hesitations. I quite like the contrary motion scales.
      How long do you think I should spend on scales a day Peter, half an hour or less?

Incidentally, in the new ABRSM Syllabus, I find grade 3 pieces more exciting than grade 2. For Grade 3 pieces I find my particular choices of manageable pieces would be , A1. Sonata in G, Handel. A2. Romanze K525, Mozart, which I like very much. B1. Tom Bowling, by Charles Dibdin.
      and C2. Der Tag ist vergangen, (The day has ended) I think. by Rakov.

Beethoven's German dance in B♭, Wo0 13. I tried but found it trickier than other pieces.
      🎹

Comment

At grade 3 I would suggest 10 or 15 minutes is enough for scales and arpeggios. What is important is to keep your practice varied and interesting so I suggest splitting the scales into two or three groups and doing different ones on different days aiming to repeat each group two or three times a week. Always hands separately as well as together. Once they're known try practicing in different ways, sometimes from top down, sometimes with different rhythms, sometimes with varying dynamics - there is a lot you can do to make them more interesting!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Can a scale have flats and sharps occurring ?

🎹

Comment

Yes, the most obvious examples being the harmonic and melodic minor scales. The harmonic G minor scale has two flats in the key signature (B and E), but the seventh note of the scale is raised by a half step, making it an F sharp. This would be written as an accidental instead of being in the key signature, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              Yes, the most obvious examples being the harmonic and melodic minor scales. The harmonic G minor scale has two flats in the key signature (B and E), but the seventh note of the scale is raised by a half step, making it an F sharp. This would be written as an accidental instead of being in the key signature, however.
              Thanks again Chris, that was the reason I was asking. I noticed that G harmonic minor has two flats , and wasn't sure about the F sharp as it isn't in the key signature. so good, now I know.
              🎹

Comment

C harmonic minor scale,
                Why do we miss out the B flat playing this scale?

Thanks.
                🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                  C harmonic minor scale,
                  Why do we miss out the B flat playing this scale?

Thanks.
                  Because you have to raise the 7th note a semitone (sharpen) in minor scales - in C minor this is a Bb in the key signature which when sharpened becomes B natural.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Because you have to raise the 7th note a semitone (sharpen) in minor scales - in C minor this is a Bb in the key signature which when sharpened becomes B natural.
                    Oh thank you, Peter. makes sense now.
                    🎹

Comment

That is called the leading tone as it leads to the home key of C. That is why it's a semitone, so that it resolves up to the home position in the key.

Comment

Working...
                      X