A direct drive turntable that lags!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A direct drive turntable that lags!

This is no fun. I'm listening to Liszt's first piano concerto and, all of a sudden, the pitch goes down. I had to stop the music. I think in the future I'll go back the audio CDs and leave these audio subtleties for the vinyl and tube amplifiers fans.

There must be something wrong with it that can be fixed, but where and at what cost. When I spun vinyl back in the 1970s and 1980s I had a bottom line Yahamah turntable and never had any problem with the drive. I don't think it was direct drive, maybe belt, not exactly sure how these things work. But CDs work fine for me these days.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

At what cost! I also have a middle priced Yamaha, and I can't get the original belt. It bits direct drive. I've been told, by people who know, direct drive is low-end. So you like cars?

I would not normally notice the drop in pitch. Need to be in a maximum alert condition to be aware of it. So, waiting to go back to normal.
      Last edited by Enrique; 03-17-2014, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Mine is a Yahama YP-B2, which apparently (from the link) is belt drive. Purchased in 1979. Haven't used it in about 20 years and needs a cartridge.

I like old cars with manual clutch, not slush box.
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

So is mine. It is belt drive. Really, even the standard 16-bit CD is good program source. And there are 24-bit! My late brother ran in formula 2. He hated automatic transmissions. Personally, I like to drive and have a feeling of the car.

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a look. [Looking at the picture, It is a YP-B4 the one I have.]
          Last edited by Enrique; 03-17-2014, 06:43 AM.

Comment

I am not familiar with CD bit rates. Burned CDs from 128 kbps wma files sound fine to my ear, but maybe a better quality would sound even better.

I guess I don't hate automatic transmissions as much as I hate complexity in them. My wife's 1999 Plymouth Voyager has a 3 speed automatic and is about the best running automatic I have ever driven, but my personal vehicle always is a manual because it is more fun.

Comment

Working...
            X