No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At 1456 this evening, at the very end of supper, I finished my third read of Jack Whyte's The Singing Sword, book two of his Camulod Chronicles, a retelling of Arthur in a plausibly historical setting. These first two books take place in Romanized Britain, though at book two's end the excrement is about to hit the fan in earnest. As was its predecessor, book two is well written and entertaining. In some sense each volume from here on out will become harder to read, as no matter how the tale is spun, it never ends well for the good guys.

Be that as it may, I will begin book three, The Eagles' Blood, by day's end.

Comment

At 0014 this morning I finished my third read of Jack Whyte's Eagles' Brood (not Blood, as I stupidly called it last post), book three of his Camulod Chronicles. As suspected, I found it tough going at times, not due to any deficiency, but because unpleasant things occur at varied intervals throughout. I'm pausing the main tale long enough to read Uther, which parallels events in Brood, but Whyte chooses to classify as a stand-alone novel.

Comment

At 0227 this morning, during a near sleepless night, I finished Jack Whyte's Uther, part of his Camulod Chronicles. Took a lot longer than anticipated. Not because I didn't enjoy the book. I like it very much. Thing is, I started reading it about the time I began devoting almost all my time to a certain PC game, leaving little time for other pursuits. As for Uther, it covers the same period as The Eagles' Brood, which centers on Meryln. The series is an easy recommendation for those interested in a take on Arthur placed in a historically proper setting. (At the very end of these two books we finally get our first fleeting glimpse of the future King.)

I'm now a few pages into the next book, The Saxon Shore.

Comment

At 2150 yesterday evening, 2 Apr 2019. I finished my third read of Jack Whyte's The Saxon Shore, part of his Camulod Chronicles. Another worthy series entry.

I'm now reading its followup, The Fort at River's Bend.

Comment

At 1359 by the bedroom clock this afternoon, 8 April 2019. I finished my second read of Jack Whyte's The Fort at River's Bend, book five of his Camulod Chronicles. (Or book four if you read Uther as a supplement rather than placing it between The Eagles' Brood and The Saxon Shore, as I do.) Fort occurs during Arthur's boyhood, ending as he is about to enter manhood.

I'll likely begin the next series entry, The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis, during supper.

Comment

An Introduction to the Theory of Groups, by Joseph J. Rotman. It is arduous reading. More precisely it is study it. I went through the first ten chapters understanding almost all and solving most of the problems, but the last two chapters, 11 and 12 proved to be too difficult for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                Gosh DP, you are an avid reader!

My current book is. Point Counter Point, by Aldous Huxley, I have decided to read a few more of his novels.
                I have read a spanish translation, Contrapunto. Point counter point stands for counterpoint, a branch in the study of music. I also read Brave New World.
                Last edited by Enrique; 05-11-2019, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                  An Introduction to the Theory of Groups, by Joseph J. Rotman. It is arduous reading. More precisely it is study it. I went through the first ten chapters understanding almost all and solving most of the problems, but the last two chapters, 11 and 12 proved to be too difficult for me.
                  A very worthy endeavor!

Comment

Thanks. Math can be fascinating for some people. And it has so many branches!

Comment

Hi all

Just taken delivery of Beethoven's 'Eroica' sketchbook (2 vols). It has a very interesting inscription inside the front cover. Bit of a bonus. If I knew how to insert a photo, I'd share it with you.
                      Last edited by Fidelio; 07-02-2019, 05:39 PM. Reason: Insert pic
                      Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Photo as promised (I hope)
                        Attached Files
                        Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming

Comment

Originally posted by Ullmaj3 View Post
                            Diamonds Are Forever by Ian Fleming
                            Welcome to the forum Ullmaj3. Just finished reading 'Son of Oscar Wilde' by Vyvyan Holland.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Wikipedia tells me it is an autobiography of one of Oscar Wilde's sons. It surely includes many references to the father! Also it says Oscar was a devoted father.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                                Wikipedia tells me it is an autobiography of one of Oscar Wilde's sons. It surely includes many references to the father! Also it says Oscar was a devoted father.
                                The story of Oscar Wilde is well known, but not so much the impact on his family, particularly his children which this book sheds interesting light on. Quite tragic all round.
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X