Use of Calendar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of Calendar

I don't know how to contact the administrator; but I have a few questions regarding the calendar...

1. It appears the calendar runs till 2006... is that correct? Any reason for this?
    2. I wonder if the calendar could be used to insert any relevant Beethoven anniversaries, eg 22/12: Anniversary Akademie Theater an der Wien 1808 (+ listing what was performed) or 27/3.... etc.... this would give us reminders of important dates in the Beethoven calendar.

Albert

I'm not sure Albert, but Chris will be able to help when he sees this post!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

That's a fine idea, Albert. I have fixed the calendar date range, and we could add some Beethoven dates on there now.

Comment

Beethoven dates

Dear Chris,

Thanks for that. I didn't see anything new on there yet, so I thought I'd add 26 March as a recurring date.

Don't have the rights to do so, which I assume is linked to the lack of seniority of my membership?

Albert

Comment

Probably only administrators can add things to the calendar. Why don't you list the dates you think would be interesting here?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
            Dear Chris,

Thanks for that. I didn't see anything new on there yet, so I thought I'd add 26 March as a recurring date.

Don't have the rights to do so, which I assume is linked to the lack of seniority of my membership?

Albert
            I've started to add some dates and will gradually add more, but please feel free to suggest some here.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Peter,

I saw that you have started entering things there. Great. Didn't he die at 5.45 pm, though, rather than 4.45?

Being a fan of his 5th, of course the Akademie of 1808 (22 December) would be one I'd like to see appear there. The question is of course, how do we decide what we need to put on there? Do we put in all first performances we know of? I see, Peter, that you already have done something like this (first 'public concert'.

And another idea I have on this, and this needs to be thought of carefully, because overkill will defeat the purpose behind the idea. Is there any way to broadcast some of the dates to the membership of the site? I think that a few essential dates (birth, death) chosen and then sent as a reminder to the members of the site might result in re-activating some of them (and at the same time getting those who no longer are interested to unsubscribe). What do you think?

Albert

Comment

Dear Peter,

I saw that you have started entering things there. Great. Didn't he die at 5.45 pm, though, rather than 4.45?

Being a fan of his 5th, of course the Akademie of 1808 (22 December) would be one I'd like to see appear there. The question is of course, how do we decide what we need to put on there? Do we put in all first performances we know of? I see, Peter, that you already have done something like this (first 'public concert'.

And another idea I have on this, and this needs to be thought of carefully, because overkill will defeat the purpose behind the idea. Is there any way to broadcast some of the dates to the membership of the site? I think that a few essential dates (birth, death) chosen and then sent as a reminder to the members of the site might result in re-activating some of them (and at the same time getting those who no longer are interested to unsubscribe). What do you think?

Albert
                Huttenbrenner (quoted in Thayer) says around 5pm so it's obviously hard to be precise! I'll add the 22nd Dec concert and discuss with Chris your ideas about 'reminders' - it may not be possible or practical though. Thanks for your suggestions and getting us to actually make use of this facility!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'll have a look at the von Breuning book to see what that says on the matter. Might be interesting if anyone has more information about the weather conditions at the time, as we know it is said he died during a thunderstorm. Of course, one must take some of these things with a considerable amount of salt. I'll look at it when I get home again; at the moment, I am in Vienna... was just in the Haydn-Haus here. Might go to Baden or Eisenstadt if I have time this week (I am here for work for part of the time)

Comment

I'll have a look at the von Breuning book to see what that says on the matter. Might be interesting if anyone has more information about the weather conditions at the time, as we know it is said he died during a thunderstorm. Of course, one must take some of these things with a considerable amount of salt. I'll look at it when I get home again; at the moment, I am in Vienna... was just in the Haydn-Haus here. Might go to Baden or Eisenstadt if I have time this week (I am here for work for part of the time)
                    Lucky you! Haydn museum of course includes a Brahms room which is rather strange but also interesting - Let us know if you have any more music experiences whilst in Vienna!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Going to a concert tonight in the Musikverein, that would pretty much count, wouldn't it?
                      http://www.musikverein.at/konzerte/k...php?idx=129140
                      The Brahms room is there because he was a Haydn fan (he owned some scores and a clavichord that's back in the Haydn-Hause) and because his house was torn down in 1907 or so.
                      The Viennese are a funny lot anyway: compare the Mozart Haus with anything on Beethoven... frankly speaking, it is incomprehensible. Paid my respects at the Pasqualatihaus this morning, while walking into the city centre. It always feels odd being here in the knowledge that our man lived and worked here. Slightly reminiscent of Jerusalem... treading on holy/historical ground.

Comment

Going to a concert tonight in the Musikverein, that would pretty much count, wouldn't it?
                        http://www.musikverein.at/konzerte/k...php?idx=129140
                        The Brahms room is there because he was a Haydn fan (he owned some scores and a clavichord that's back in the Haydn-Hause) and because his house was torn down in 1907 or so.
                        The Viennese are a funny lot anyway: compare the Mozart Haus with anything on Beethoven... frankly speaking, it is incomprehensible. Paid my respects at the Pasqualatihaus this morning, while walking into the city centre. It always feels odd being here in the knowledge that our man lived and worked here. Slightly reminiscent of Jerusalem... treading on holy/historical ground.
                        The Viennese also don't like to tell anyone that the flat you visit in the Pasqualati house isn't actually the one Beethoven lived in, that was next door and is privately owned. Regarding the Brahms room it is interesting to see that lectern as there is a photo of Brahms standing right by the same piece of furniture.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

As I said, the Viennese are funny (I knew that, thought it was a floor below, but I think you are right).
                          The concert was great, the J.C. Bach was a discovery (although I don't know what it was, because it was not an overture: it was something in 3 movements with a lovely slow movement with a wonderful solo for oboe - my instrument). Mahler was exquisite, 'Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen" will always move me to the bone. And the Schchedrin rework of Carmen is a piece full of humour and good music.

Comment

Dear Peter, there are lots of dates, I saw on the general page there is tab 'concerts', which contains a lot of dates....

Comment

Dear Peter,

I just had a look at the von Breuning book, which states that he (Gerhard von Breuning) left the Schwarzspanierhaus at 5.15 pm that afternoon and Beethoven still was alive at that point. He was told later that day by Beethoven's housekeeper, it says, that he had died at about 5.45 pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X