With a little help from my friends.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a little help from my friends.

Hi: I have to write a business email and I was wondering if the following wouldn't be a bit obsolete style:
    Dear Sirs:

Is the eZ80 CPU, as described in Zilog eZ80 CPU User Manual, UM007714-0908, still being manufactured by you? Blah, blah, blah, ... Yours truly,

Enrique Stefanini.
    If it is, what would be a more appropriate greeting and complimentary close? When getting answers from some company, I have seen the style they use is rather informal.

What you have would work. Also, you can sign off with, "Regards, Enrique". Good luck with that!

Comment

Thank you very much, Sorrano.

Comment

Do you still play the trumpet?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          Do you still play the trumpet?
          It's been many years but I still remember the fingering. The trumpet is still around (it is actually a cornet) in a case in my basement and I do have the urge to play it some more. However, I've lost a lot of ability to play some of the higher notes.

Comment

But talking with somebody else in our forum, you said something like "when I am preparing a work", by which, I think, you were talking about playing some work. What would be the instrument then, Sorrano?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
              But talking with somebody else in our forum, you said something like "when I am preparing a work", by which, I think, you were talking about playing some work. What would be the instrument then, Sorrano?
              Currently, I play piano and organ. Although I am not a professional I've taken it upon myself to practice the piano daily for about an hour. There are a number of pieces that I want to learn, so I am doing just that.

Comment

I envy you. One thing I don't understand is how a person can play piano and organ at the same time. Their keyboards have such a different "pulsation". I mean the way the key responds to the force applied by the finger. If I were to do the same, after a day, or even a few hours practicing at the organ, going to the piano I'd find myself "pushing" the piano keys. Have you ever tried your hand with the Moonlight sonata, Sorrano?

Comment

Organ playing is a bit different, but it's not hard to go from one to another. It is more difficult, I think, for pianists to play organ without some proper training, but those who do adjust find that certain techniques, such as fingering, that is learned on the organ can be applied to the piano as well. I have played through the Moonlight Sonata, as well, but not with much success with the last movement.

Comment

Yes, I suppose it's like you say. By the Moonlight, in fact I meant the 1st movement. I had very little piano conservatory training and I was practicing the E major scale. When I saw the score of that sonata, its fist movement, I said to myself: I have the preparation I need to play this (C# minor relative of E major). And in a couple of weeks I was playing it, with all and pedal indications. Of course, only aimed at giving pleasure to myself, not to anyone else. It was a rewarding experience.

Comment

With respect to the complimentary close, what if instead of "Regards, Enrique" I write "Kind regards, Enrique"? Would it still remain in a commercial level or is it too personal?

Comment

Regards is probably best. Kind regards is a little on the personal side.

With the Moonlight Sonata, the second movement is quite nice to learn, as well. One of these days I may attempt the last movement, again.

Comment

Working...
                        X