Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all cinematographic actors left handed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all cinematographic actors left handed?

In feature films, when a character is writing, 95 per cent of the times he does it with his left hand. I was looking, yesterday, a picture in which Robert Redford is a baseball player. And he took the bate with his left. But the character was ficticious. I look into wikipedia, and find that 70-90 per cent of the world population is right handed. In the US, where most of the pictures we see come from, the percentage is even greater. Can any of you come up with an hypotesis to solve this mystery?

Left handed people used to be considered as criminally insane. Maybe actors fit that mold? (Just kidding, of course, but if politicians were left handed that would be absolute proof.)

That is an interesting observation, Enrique; I've never noticed that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      That is an interesting observation, Enrique; I've never noticed that.
      Well then, have an eye on how many times, when a couple is lying in bed, she asks him to go and fetch a certain article. Or on the thousand references to the car seat belt in pictures. I have developed an hypothesis able to explain the left handed stuff as well as the article and the belt thing. But it's so obvious, Sorrano. Certain people go and pay the producer or the director or someone else in the production staff for showing or saying certain things in the film being shot. Sony pays good money for the showing of there products in films. But a TV set is material object, after all. The seat belt stuff is not an object, it's a use (well, using Sony TV sets is a use too, but I'm sure you understand). And the truth is that art (motion pictures) is being used to educate people, to educate you and me. But I want to see the work of the director. Not a sort of teacher who is there on the screen (a virtual presence, of course) every time I go to the cinema.
      Art usually delivers a message. But we are speaking about seat belts and articles here!

Comment

Left handed people used to be considered as criminally insane. Maybe actors fit that mold? (Just kidding, of course, but if politicians were left handed that would be absolute proof.)
        Sorrano. Beware of TV documentaries. I used to watch documentaries about Ancient Rome, and am in a position to tell you how much they exagerate and distort things: a lot.

Comment

It wasn't from TV Documentaries I got that information; I read a lot.

Comment

I'm sure you do. But exagerations are not only exclusive to TV. So left handed people were sent to jail in the past? Say the 1930's? Because you put it inside a joke. But is passes as a truth. Generally speaking, it was sort of a social stigma, but this is what the books say now. I'd like to have lived at that time to witness it.

Comment

There might be an issue, as well, of right/left brain coordination with creativity that comes along with acting and results in a higher percentage of left handedness among them than other groups of people.

Comment

Do forget my clumsiness. Who are "them"?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                  Do forget my clumsiness. Who are "them"?
                  Them = actors.

Comment

Is is that actors are specially creative? Why not musicians? What are your sources? Is it a result of your own investigations on the subject?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                      Is is that actors are specially creative? Why not musicians? What are your sources? Is it a result of your own investigations on the subject?
                      That's only a suggestion. I have not done any research whatsoever on left-handed actors. But, who knows? There might be some relationships with hand preference and cranial tendencies.

Comment

Here are a couple of links on left handedness and creativity:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...ul-710626.html

http://www.helium.com/items/629847-e...and-creativity

And another one for fun:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/op...anted=all&_r=0

Comment

Why not! But my explication is much simpler. There are dozen of institutions, societies or whatever we want to call them that dedicate themselves to some "humanitarian" cause. Animals for examples (I love some of them a lot and all of them in general). It is not so much that they do not get harmed during the production (spanish "filmacion" o "rodaje") but about not giving bad examples to people. It's about that getting into the people's head that they should use the car seat belt (when they are in a car, of course). And that left-handedness is not a disease. And these institutions are willing to pay film makers to get their goals. And I say that art should keep a distance from all these little things that help it, the art, to transform itself into a clichè. I beg your pardon, Sorrano, because I am repeating myself a bit. But it seemed to me to be so obvious. The state is another point. It is constantly overprotecting us (car belt case). Do not do this, do that. It's for your benefit.

Comment

Overlapping here. Between tenor and alto?

Comment

I'll hare a look at them later. You are looking as a paladin of left-handed people. In these days there is no more need for that. Please remember I was criticizing cinema, not left-handed persons. Any way, Beethoven was right-handed, Sir Isaac Newton was too, Leibnitz, Spinoza, Decartes and Einstein too.

Comment

Working...
                              X