Let's Fix Peter's Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    You've probably not run as efficiently as you might have. Those updates fix errors in the OS as well as plug potential security leaks. Do you have any of the service packs for XP? It's hard to imagine that you could even operate online without some of the updates.
    The version I bought was already SP2 and I did download and apply SP3. But I don't like the idea of anything downloading and installing automatically. And I haven't had a problem yet that has warranted actually checking through the updates to see if I care about any of them.

Comment

The .net framwork updates could be an issue not having them, depending on what you do online. Adobe and Java (not Microsoft) could also limit your ability to access certain things. Some of the updates fix potential security issues (emphasis on potential). If you are online all the time, such as in a workplace environment, then it would make sense to apply as much protection as possible. The Microsoft Malicious Tool Remover would be very useful to apply as that would clean out potential issues that adware and spyware cause.

Comment

Bottom line:

ALWAYS STICK WITH UPDATES FOR OS AND ANTI-VIRUS. BEST BET.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Don't update my OS, don't use any antivirus. Never had a problem. If I do have a problem, I can just do a format and re-install and be back up and running in an hour. Much better than constantly getting updates, any one of which could break something I need!

Comment

Most updates do not take 5 minutes (unless you have a slow machine, slow internet connection, and/or little memory). For me, five minutes of downloading and installing (which generally do not interrupt any current processes) beats an hour or more of reinstalling. Also, you would have to reinstall software and reconfigure it; that would be annoying to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              Don't update my OS, don't use any antivirus. Never had a problem. If I do have a problem, I can just do a format and re-install and be back up and running in an hour. Much better than constantly getting updates, any one of which could break something I need!
              What is OS?

I wouldn't have the first clue as to do a format and re install, its ok if you know what your are doing I guess.
              🎹

Comment

OS is short for Operating System, i.e., Windows. The updates have two main advantages, they fix existing bugs and they plug potential security holes where malicious software might create some harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  OS is short for Operating System, i.e., Windows. The updates have two main advantages, they fix existing bugs and they plug potential security holes where malicious software might create some harm.
                  Thank you Sorrano
                  🎹

Comment

Thanks to everyone - I've now added 2GB of RAM and wow what a difference!
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Thanks to everyone - I've now added 2GB of RAM and wow what a difference!
                      That should last you for awhile. All the extra curricular drive swapping in place of memory can be rough on the hard drive.

Comment

Nice! We'll make a computer nerd out of you yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          Nice! We'll make a computer nerd out of you yet!
                          I'm learning fast!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

No you're not, you're just pretending. Admit it, if it don't run on gas, you're lost. Like what I am [sic].

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                              No you're not, you're just pretending. Admit it, if it don't run on gas, you're lost. Like what I am [sic].
                              Now now, just because you have to have your son switch the PC (personal computer) on for you!
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                Now now, just because you have to have your son switch the PC (personal computer) on for you!

Reverse didactic function:
                                Instead of parental guidance, the young tell the parents what they should do.

🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X