An old phrase.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An old phrase.

When Neal Armstrong set foot on the Moon, he could be heard to say "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". Was this sentence literally quoted by the news agencies in your country, specifically on TV? I was tired to listen to it, over and over again, asking myself whether the speaker had an idea what he was speaking about. Of course what he actually meant was "... one small step for a man ...". Please, I'm NOT speaking about Armstrong, but about silly people.

Hola, Enrique. Your post has encouraged me to come back home from outer orbit. Others (formerly banned) I see, have also returned, but under a different name. No matter, this is not my concern.
    You know, I never ever considered it (the phrase you quote) but maybe you're right, Armstrong confused the terms "man" and "mankind". I am, however, not at all sure what you mean by "silly people".
    Last edited by Quijote; 08-09-2012, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Another "old phrase" that you mentioned before, Enrique, on this forum was "hacer la vista gorda" (I think you used the imperative hangan la vista gorda). Just for your information, the equivalent in GB English is to "turn a blind eye (to something)".
      For our monoglot GB friends, the Spanish translates literally as "to make a fat eye".
      Last edited by Quijote; 08-09-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

How are you, Philip. Glad to have stimulated you. I say "silly" of that who repeats without thinking. The phrase uttered by Armstrong is equivalent to "one small step for mankind but a giant leap for mankind". But this kind of people is most noticeable among newsmen and reporters. In a certain forum I was enriquestefanini. It not only took too much room on the left margin and made the post window smaller, but was written in all capitals, all uppercase, uff. So I picked up a shorter one: stf92. But that was a technical forum. Here, among people that call themselves by there first name, I was a little embarrased. So I changed it. Good to have an opportunity to explain.

EDIT: are you from France? Not trying to be indiscrete.
        Last edited by Enrique; 08-09-2012, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          How are you, Philip. Glad to have stimulated you.
          I'm glad you did!

Comment

Are you from France? Not trying to be indiscrete.
            Si, yo vivo en francia, pero soy inglés, mi madre era espanola.

Comment

Interesante combinacio'n. While reading your posts I couldn't assert your country. Adios.

EDIT: I overlooked post #3. In your sayings and modisms eyes are always singular for Englishmen, it seems.
              Last edited by Enrique; 08-09-2012, 02:03 AM.

Comment

When Neal Armstrong set foot on the Moon, he could be heard to say "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind". Was this sentence literally quoted by the news agencies in your country, specifically on TV? I was tired to listen to it, over and over again, asking myself whether the speaker had an idea what he was speaking about. Of course what he actually meant was "... one small step for a man ...". Please, I'm NOT speaking about Armstrong, but about silly people.
                Supposedly, Armstrong did say, "one small step for a man," which he claims he intended to say and believes he said. The "a" is just not very audible. If you poke around the Internet, you can find it slowed down and analyzed, and it seems the missing "a" may indeed be there after all.

Comment

Yes, something like that I overheard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Supposedly, Armstrong did say, "one small step for a man," which he claims he intended to say and believes he said. The "a" is just not very audible. If you poke around the Internet, you can find it slowed down and analyzed, and it seems the missing "a" may indeed be there after all.
                    That is what I've always understood that he meant; incidentally, I do recall that hearing that line for the first time, watching him climb down from the lunar module to the surface of the moon. The press here in the US has a habit, anyway, of making mountains out of molehills. I have no respect for it.

Comment

OK. But I never heard a critic to that Armstrong phrase, I only heard a poor translation, a thousand times, as if he said that. Remember I said NOT speaking about Armstrong, but you're American, of course.

Comment

To me just saying the word 'man' without the a in front of it sounds perfectly good to me. Can't the word 'man' mean all men? People like the press, etc. are getting pickier and pickier.
                        Last edited by Joy; 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM. Reason: sp
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

That's precisely the point. Man without an article MEANS mankind.

Comment

OK. But I never heard a critic to that Armstrong phrase, I only heard a poor translation, a thousand times, as if he said that. Remember I said NOT speaking about Armstrong, but you're American, of course.
                            Sorry, I was reminiscing a bit. Silly people is a good phrase for who you are referring to.

Comment

Not at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X