Globalization: bad or good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Globalization: bad or good?

Many a time I have heard the word globalization in a context which makes it a good thing or at least not a bad one. And I have been appalled. By globalization I mean that which has been made possible by the present state of technological development and, in particular, mass communication media. I would like to state that I'm not a philosopher nor a sociologist and that I'm ready to accept an argument which will make me change my mind. My fear is this: globalization goes against cultural diversity. Not so much of a statement as a question hereby formulated by me. I know the Greeks lived in a geographical environment which put barriers among its different peoples. Later, European civilization was born in a landscape populated with rivers and mountains. Consider Europe is one of the places with most geographical accidents in the world. Only watch the gigantic coast development, another feature of Greece. These barriers were never so strong as to obliterate the propagation of ideas but, for certain, they slowed it down. One communication media was the courier and, if the horse had to cross a river, the time involved in the trip would be greater than if plain terrain. However, civilization in Europe, during the past five centuries, could see the incredibly fast development of science. Communication was the secret? Look at Greece. All geographical accident, too. But in the course of a century there developed what someone called the matrix of western wisdom.

The degree of isolation imposed by geography depends upon technological development. A mountain is not an obstacle for communication by satelites. So we need a time frame of reference, and I choose the XVIII century. This is the time of Frederick the Great, Newton, Voltaire, Goethe. And in this century Beethoven's impressionable youth was nurtured. We have now time and space, and we could do the following question. Was the lack of planes, trains, telegraph, satellites detrimental to Bach's musical output? I don't think so. By pursuing this argument further, I know my initial question would necessarily take us to this more fundamental one: Is progress a good thing? To this I do not answer. I guess it is.

Let's return to globalization. In the time I've chosen there lived great men, perhaps the greatest Europe has ever seen after the fall of the ancient world. And ideas, uses, news, everything that needs motion or propagation, had to move slowly, much more slowly than at present day. We live in a time where the opposite happens. A little scientist publishes a paper, and the following day it is known to the whole scientific community. Is this good? Maybe. Let's speak about something more basic: language. After all science needs language for the expression and communication of scientific ideas. There was a time where all of Europe spoke a single language: Latin (late Roman Empire). Is this good? I do not think so. Imagine a world speaking only English. What would you thing about its cultural diversity?

I have the point of view that globalization tends to homogenize the medium, be it humanities or the scientific realm. My point is very easy. Once the language is uniformed, everything else must follow suit. So the question may now be put like this: does homogenization represent a danger to the destinies of mankind? If you listen to the biologists, lack of diversity is a bad thing. Can this be transliterated onto the higher aspects of human behavior? If it can, I have myself answered the question and globalization stands for the greatest evil of our time.

Very interesting question and very hard to answer I think because we are so close to what is happening. However historically think of how individual city states produced the greatest thinkers and creative spirits and at one time, so you have 5th century Athens, 15th century Florence, 18th century Vienna etc.. In other words the right circumstances came together to produce these great flourishes of inspiration. Would globalisation have hindered that? I think it probably would have. This is a big debate we have here in Europe because we are very much in the process of merging our cultural identities and this I think is a very bad thing as we lose so much - we should celebrate and respect our differences, not eliminate them.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, acceleration is the keyword which perhaps best describes the present hour. It is first of all of a technologycal nature but it informs our way of living. So your words are acute. No valid historiographic judgements in so close proximity with the past. Have you some books by a present day historian to recommend me?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
        Yes, acceleration is the keyword which perhaps best describes the present hour. It is first of all of a technologycal nature but it informs our way of living. So your words are acute. No valid historiographic judgements in so close proximity with the past. Have you some books by a present day historian to recommend me?
        Well the only book I can think of is the excellent 'From Dawn to Decadence' by Jacques Barzun which looks at western civilisation from 1500 to the present, though it was published in 2000 - it may not be what you are looking for though so check out some of the reviews.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for the book and for your opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            this I think is a very bad thing as we lose so much - we should celebrate and respect our differences, not eliminate them.
            I am squarely on baord with that! Not only there, but here and everywhere else too...

"Globalization" from the political perspective is a great tool in assisting with the advancement of politically inclined agendas (I try to cover a lot of unmentioned territory here) coupled with increased international conflict (terrorist activity) due to whatever mischief prevails with those concerned who intend to generate such, but as a means of "merging culture" and bringing up the 'internationally suitable child" who is becoming less frequently taught to realize the necessity of learning/understanding historical facts (that which is not re-written, or outright ignored anymore) and distinguishing the need to keep that history in mind while looking ahead at the same time; vice the national soverign respecting type, it actually weakens and {determines to} destroys established boundaries that are essential for the strength of any given culture's uniqueness, rather than running it all together into a bland and meaningless stream of "what is the reason" in all this variation on a theme of existing...people need sharp clear understanding of what is and what seems to be, not possess a blur of forgetfulness and lackluster interest of the past/present perspective on how all that does in fact impact their lives (whether they like it or not, agree with it or not, etc.)

other than that, we've always been a 'global family' - in a manner of speaking, not meant to B misconstrued..

just my 3 cents werth...

xoxox
            E
            Last edited by EternaLisa; 08-01-2012, 07:06 PM.
            "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

I believe globalization is a thing that is very wrong. The 1st world countries think they are right, and will let it be known with bombs and warfare? The fact is the 1st world countries (well at least, the ones pulling the strings) only think they are right, while in truth, imo, are not. 1St world countries are to corrupt, to greedy, to arrogant, etc.

We see this very thing happening with the war america is in with the middle east. They do not want a 1st world society and are fighting for their own independence. And yes, not just the middle east, but many ancient cultures, traditions, etc. are very different and as the 1st world countries see them – are horrible and violent. BUT, are the 1st world countries not as violent – is there not the same thing going on in the 1st world countries (if not worse), etc? The 1st world countries will put you in a cell for life and think they have done a thing of justice. That is how messed up they are!

I think instead of forcing this “1st world mentality” - we're better than you are - they need to talk to the 3rd world and see if they want medicines, technology, etc...

Though truly if this earth was an entire city (1st world) I think that would be the end of days!

As a side note, I like some of the things technology is used for. For instance, I like being able to listen to music at anytime, keep up on world news (if I want to), write my own music, be healed from syphilis, etc. Though, I often think about living a monastic life – which seems to almost be the truthful path, imo.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
              X