A question for the connoisseur.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for the connoisseur.

Vinyl (long playing microgroove ) records had a number, printed on the jacket and the record itself, which uniquely identified them. Do the ID numbers given to audio CDs belong to the same code system? As an example, suppose I have a vinyl CBS 5136. Can there be a CD with ID CBS 5136 (not a reissue of the vinyl)?
    Last edited by Enrique; 06-28-2012, 04:10 PM.

This might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalog...single_records

Comment

Interesting reading, Sorrano. Thank you. If wikipedia had similar articles for 12-inch or CD they should be in the "See also" section, which is lacking. I have just searched Google with "catalog numbering system", expression which I borrowed from the article title, and am seeing lots of items. From one of them
      When labels release music in different formats, sometimes they manipulate the catalog number in some way so that it also indicates if the release is CD, 7", 12" and so on, but not always.
      it could be inferred that the system, for a given record label, encompasses CDs as well as 12-inch records, that is, is uniformly applied to all discs, be they compact or LP..

Comment

Working...
      X