Mahler Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mahler Dream

Last night I dreamt that I was listening to a great symphony on the Radio, someone said it was Mahler, and I thought is was really good, so I thought I would listen right to the end so that I can get the no. of the Symphony, but then I got distracted and had to go catch a bus or something .

How weird is that!

I did enjoy the symphony though. It is odd to think that If I were a musician I could write out that symphony and have it performed!
    Last edited by Megan; 04-13-2012, 02:50 PM.
    🎹

I've had a similar dream - the music was so wonderful that when I woke up I wanted to write it down, but couldn't remember a note!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      I've had a similar dream - the music was so wonderful that when I woke up I wanted to write it down, but couldn't remember a note!

I almost forgot to mention that someone in my dream said it was a Mahler symphony.
      When I woke up I could still remember the first couple of bars only, but that faded.
      I think it was possibly a late German romantic piece.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        I almost forgot to mention that someone in my dream said it was a Mahler symphony.
        When I woke up I could still remember the first couple of bars only, but that faded.
        I think it was possibly a late German romantic piece.
        Mine would have been an original composition which is why it's so annoying!!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          I've had the same experience a couple of times. Very annoying! Reminds me of how Tartini is said to have written the Devil's Trill sonata.

Comment

Stravinsky dreamt quite a couple of bars from the Sacre du printemps, for a considerable time not knowing how exactly to notate what he had heard.

Comment

It happened Beethoven on a coach journey - if you can read the text in this link. He couldn't remember a note either when he woke
              up, but it came back to him later.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=lWQI...20city&f=false

Last edited by Michael; 05-11-2012, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                It happened Beethoven on a coach journey - if you can read the text in this link. He couldn't remember a note either when he woke
                up, but it came back to him later.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=lWQI...20city&f=false

The link didn't display for me, bummer!

Comment

A good find Michael, thanks for the interesting link . I thought I would link the following site also for Sorrano , as it is easier to read.

Here I found it from another source, Beethoven's letter to Haslinger.

Ludwig van Beethoven, Brief an Tobias Haslinger, Baden, 10. September 1821, Autograph
                  Beethoven-Haus Bonn, BH 23

Beethoven loved plays on words. He often teased his close friends in particular with playful letters and musical jokes. Tobias Haslinger was often on the receiving end of such friendly teasing, as was Sigmund Anton Steiner, the owner of a publishing house of the same name. In 1821 Haslinger was still an employee there. The letter really only serves the purpose of sending a canon to Haslinger on the text "O Tobias, Dominus Haslinger, o!". Beethoven first of all notes it down as a simple canon, then in full in a three-part score.

Beethoven describes the supposed genesis of the composition in rather flowery terms, whereby the irony cannot be ignored. On a journey from Baden to Vienna he had fallen asleep and dreamt of a journey through the Orient. In Jerusalem the Bible came to him and with it the name Tobias, as well as the one-part melody noted. However, on waking up again he had forgotten this. When he covered the same stretch of road on the way back, this time awake, a similar melody occurred to him, which he then wrote down as a three-part canon (WoO 182).

Beethoven ends the letter with exhortations that Haslinger should please think of his soul - this was also a topic which often came up in Beethoven's correspondence with Haslinger and seemed to be a running joke between the two of them. (J.R.)

Taken from -
                  http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...eter=&_seite=1
                  Last edited by Megan; 05-11-2012, 04:03 PM.
                  🎹

Comment

Beethoven loved plays on words.
                    Now, that I didn't know. Maybe it throws light on his (possibly apocryphal) remark that Ries imitated him too much ... if he said it at all (or something like it), might he have said (I don't know whether German admits the same ambiguity) "Ries has copied me too much"!? Ries paid for his lessons by working as B's copyist!

Comment

Originally posted by Wyresider View Post
                      Now, that I didn't know. Maybe it throws light on his (possibly apocryphal) remark that Ries imitated him too much ... if he said it at all (or something like it), might he have said (I don't know whether German admits the same ambiguity) "Ries has copied me too much"!? Ries paid for his lessons by working as B's copyist!
                      Yes just look at the canons to see his love of puns - (what a weird sounding sentence that is!).
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                      X