Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sad, but, true - any thoughts on this video?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sad, but, true - any thoughts on this video?

I watched this video on YT and wanted to share. I apologize if it is too depressing, again, . Not trying to drag down the happiness just thought it has some good points. Apparently it is a great speech, I think? Anyone know who wrote it?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsnWvy52Vz4[/YOUTUBE]
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Charlie Chaplin!

Comment

Rats! I had guessed right, but while I was rummaging among my VHS tapes to check, PDG got his post in ahead of me.

The speech is near the end of The Great Dictator (1940), written by and and starring Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin.

The speech is curate's-eggy (a tad Hollywood-in-a-hurry in places), but the video editing on Preston's YT sequence is superb!
      Last edited by Wyresider; 04-02-2012, 10:41 PM. Reason: original post was a quickie -- want to add to it

Comment

thank you both for the information!

Comment

Pretty good!
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Interesting that Chaplin's humour/legacy has not passed on easily through the intervening decades, unlike Laurel and Hardy and the Marx Brothers. Even Buster Keaton's and Harold Lloyd's 'shorts' still retain a certain freshness and charm, but not Chaplin's?...

Comment

i have never thought about comedy and it standing the test of time. i have never studied comedy indepth, though i have watched a lot of it - unfortunaltely, at times, i think.

though, PDG, i wanted to tell you that, to my mind, for as long as i can remember it seems?, i have heard of Chaplin, as i have heard of Billy The Kid, Beethoven, etc. don't know if that helps?

i see in that video a great speach, from a person who is considered a great comedian, i was shocked that he wrote it. things said in that line are far better that so, so , etc. much of the junk that is out today - it is to be respected, imo.

Comment

Working...
              X