Any synonym for 'performer' (music)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any synonym for 'performer' (music)?

There are in Spanish at least two words equivalent to English performer (music): the more correct is that which corresponds to "one that executes": ejecutante (but English executioner I think is a different thing). A clarinetist is an "ejecutante" but the orchestra conductor also is. Then the more usual interprete, one who interprets.

In English I only know one that can be applied to our case: performer. I'll bet there is at least one more: which is it?

There are more specialized words, such as pianist, clarinetist, etc, but you are probably looking for something more specific.

Comment

Player or musician, I think.

Comment

Artist?
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by STF92 View Post
          (but English executioner I think is a different thing)
          Quite! An executioner is someone who carries out death sentences! There is an English word executor which is closer to your intended meaning, I think, but it isn't really used for someone who executes just any task - it is generally used to mean someone who carries out the instructions in a will, after someone has died.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Quite! An executioner is someone who carries out death sentences! There is an English word executor which is closer to your intended meaning, I think, but it isn't really used for someone who executes just any task - it is generally used to mean someone who carries out the instructions in a will, after someone has died.
            Your post in clarifying... and frustrating. I thought I was making a joke. Player I new it, but had quite forgotten it. You who speak English use "to play" for a lot of things! Actors play, gamblers play, violinists play, and possibly many more.

Musician too. Also forgotten.

Artist... I can say "this was a cello player" but I cant say "this was a cello artist", can I?

Comment

I was under the interpretation, that most players in the orchestra are considered musicians while the writers of music are composers?

Cello artist seems appropriate just not used - would sound kind of pompous, arrogant, etc. for the cellist to refer to himself as a cello artist or artist of the cello. Though now that I think of it an artist of the cello should be a composer for the cello. So no I do not think cello artists should be used when referring to a cellist, unless they are doing some good composing for the cello.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Consider this:
                The conductor says, during a rehearsal with the string section, "Cello and bass players on my right, please". Now, "cello and bass artists on my right, please".

Instrumentist, is one word I do not think Englishmen use to refer to someone who plays an instrument. In other languages, they do. The article Ludwig van Beethoven, from an encyclopedia in 120 volumes from 1957, begins "German musician and composer...", so here a musician is a player. However a singer is neither a musician nor a player, is he? But he is a performer.

Comment

Your post in clarifying... and frustrating. I thought I was making a joke. Player I new it, but had quite forgotten it. You who speak English use "to play" for a lot of things! Actors play, gamblers play, violinists play, and possibly many more.

Musician too. Also forgotten.

Artist... I can say "this was a cello player" but I cant say "this was a cello artist", can I?
                  You could say "cellist".

Comment

Instrumentist, is one word I do not think Englishmen use to refer to someone who plays an instrument. In other languages, they do.
                    In English, "instrumentalist" is definitely used, but usually more to distinguish someone from a vocalist.

The article Ludwig van Beethoven, from an encyclopedia in 120 volumes from 1957, begins "German musician and composer...", so here a musician is a player. However a singer is neither a musician nor a player, is he? But he is a performer.
                    A singer could be called a musician, yes, though musician seems to be used to refer to instrumentalists more often. For example I would think someone called a "musician" was an instrumentalist, but if I saw someone called a "Musician and singer", it might seem redundant. A bit contradictory, I know, but sometimes words just have connotations beyond their strict definitions.

Comment

Working...
                    X