No announcement yet.

One can't be good at everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With respect to Beethoven's metric ability, musically speaking, my experience has proven to me that he was rather adept at creating all sorts of "fun" syncopation. There is a particular bagatelle that I have been learning that drives me crazy because of this rhythmic offsetting. I don't recall which WoO it is but it has taught me that I am not so adept at musical rhythm.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      Now, as far as musical counting is concerned, please Google "Brian Ferneyhough" and follow any links to extracts from his scores. Check out the given time signature (it may be an irrational one), take note of the metronome indication, and start tapping out the rhythm. Good luck to you, is all I will say...
      Philip, I looked at the scores of Ferneyhough, shocking. I did not know that sheet music could look so. Then I decided to listen to the music. I have listened to several pieces. Ferneyhough's approach to music makes sense to me, though because of my limited ear makes no sense to me. I do not understand why people focus so much on "singular melodies" (think that is right), form, etc. Because to my mind, music is about feeling and feeling is a very diverse thing. Such as, what we feel one second could completely change in the next second. At least depending on how in-tune you are with the world-of-feelings and state-of-feeling, which I am not at all.

The problem I have is the music is extremely fast. I do not understand how enjoyment can come from such speed. Though, at times I do. Sometimes when there is a slower music playing and a lot of fast almost translucent notes come flying in, I can maintain focus on the slower part while enjoying the faster. Though Ferneyhough's music seems to have no peace or comfort, to my mind as of now, because of its speed.

Either way, I have thought for sometime about a style like Ferneyhough's but have never really heard it. It seems to me it is a proper and correct approach to the world of feeling.

Though, I may be wrong?

I also wonder if there is some great mystery surrounding musical form? Such as Beethoven used form because of a great musical reason. I just don't understand form (I call it that don't know if there is a proper word). Why have it - why not just let the feelings flow into whatever you want them to be?
      Last edited by Preston; 08-24-2011, 11:21 PM.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
      X