Performing Shakespeare in its original pronunciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    What, that makes me Cindarella? Oh good, I knew that pink frock would come in use one day ...
    I know, I know, quoting oneself can be seen as unforgiveable vanity, but talking of pink frocks and glass shoes that fit, did I not read a year or two ago that some biographer posited that Wagner was possibly a cross dresser? Well, it does seem that he had a penchant for fine fabrics such as satin and so on ...
    Preston : Wagner is certainly considered a genius. Should I take his beliefs into account as I struggle to make sense of this world?
    Megan : Let us sigh together.

Comment

Still going through all the Shakespeare plays on DVD (but not in their original olde English). Just finished "Twelfth Night". I am trying to watch them in the order in which they were written ........ which is a can of worms of a totally different colour worth two in the bush.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Still going through all the Shakespeare plays on DVD (but not in their original olde English). Just finished "Twelfth Night". I am trying to watch them in the order in which they were written ........ which is a can of worms of a totally different colour worth two in the bush.
        "M.M.M.M" = Michael, the Master of the Mixed Metaphor. A man after my own heart.

Comment

I know, I know, quoting oneself can be seen as unforgiveable vanity, but talking of pink frocks and glass shoes that fit, did I not read a year or two ago that some biographer posited that Wagner was possibly a cross dresser? Well, it does seem that he had a penchant for fine fabrics such as satin and so on ...
          Preston : Wagner is certainly considered a genius. Should I take his beliefs into account as I struggle to make sense of this world?
          Megan : Let us sigh together.
          Dear Forum Posters, I feel a sketch coming on, one involving (in a somewhat surreal way) Wagner and Beethoven in the same "scenario", possibly involving an intervention by William S. Do I have the "green light", so to speak?

Comment

I mean, I don't wish to offend your various cultural sensibilities.

Comment

Philip, I was not clear. No, I did not mean to say that just because someone is a genius, in whatever form, that there beliefs should be followed in an area where there genius does not thrive. For instance, Wagner was a musical genius - though, was he spiritually brilliant? No, imo. I was talking about genius in a particular field - such as learn spirituality from a spiritual genius (not a musical) such as Buddha, Christ, Shakespeare, etc... people who studied spirituality for a large portion of their lives and people who were filled with spirituality.

Again, sorry for any confusion.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I often get cross when my shoes (or any other article of clothing) don't fit.

Comment

Dear Forum Posters, I feel a sketch coming on, one involving (in a somewhat surreal way) Wagner and Beethoven in the same "scenario", possibly involving an intervention by William S. Do I have the "green light", so to speak?
                  Is a green icon the same as a green light?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    Is a green icon the same as a green light?
                    Oh yes. Just a little more time please, as my sketch "brews" into its final version ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      I often get cross when my shoes (or any other article of clothing) don't fit.
                      I know this problem, Sorrano. This is why I mark the soles of my shoes with an "L" and an "R".

Comment

Very well, I think my sketch is ready:
                        Vienna, 1823. Via a time warp, à la Schrödinger ...

Dramatic personae :
                        Schindler : Roehrer;
                        Wagner : Himself;
                        LvB : Himself;
                        Frau Schnapps : Bonn 1827 (in absentia).
                        WS : A playwright

It begins :

Schindler : Master, I bring a special guest to dinner tonight!
                        LvB : Drop dead, cretin. Where's my roast veal?
                        Wagner : Spirit of German nationalism, I greet you!
                        LvB : Dig her satin frock, Schindler. This your latest girlfriend?
                        Wagner : Symbol of Germany, what are you saying?
                        LvB : Jeez, she talks! Lord, I thought Johanna was an ugly dog, but you take the biscuit!
                        Schindler : Master, Herr Wagner has thought fit to make improvements in the instrumentation of your Ninth!
                        LvB : Come here, "woman".
                        [Wagner approaches LvB; LvB whispers animatedly in W's ear; W nods in agreement, though looks somewhat resigned; LvB straps W to his battered Graaf; LvB flings said Graaf, plus W, out of the window].
                        Schindler :Master, what have you done!!?
                        LvB : Just emptying my chamber pot, so to speak. Where's the roast veal?
                        Schindler : Right away, Master ...
                        Frau Schnapps : Oy, cloth ears! Time for bed.
                        LvB : Yes, dear.
                        WS [Off stage] : Out, out, damned Ricky. Nah, doesn't work. Let's try again : Out, out damned spotty ... Nah, still not quite right. Oh, I give up!
                        Last edited by Quijote; 11-14-2010, 06:17 PM. Reason: Out, out ...

Comment

Thank you, thank you [to wild applause ..]. Now that sketch is over, time to get serious. I mean, Sunday's all but over, but via a technique I have just invented called "upward bathos" I leap to the thread entitled "What are you listening to now ..."

Comment

Das ist gut! Encore?

Comment

Pips.

I trust that you have secured your copyright on this very original and amusing piece.
                              🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                                Pips.

I trust that you have secured your copyright on this very original and amusing piece.
                                I haven't, Megan! I offer this brief "masterpiece" to humanity, with no commercial expectations whatsoever. I'm like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X