are there jazz enthusiasts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are there jazz enthusiasts here?

I have been listening to jazz, for the first time, pretty much. The articles I have read say that jazz and some classical have strong similarities? Is that true?

I am now convinced that while I know somethings about classical- I really know next to nothing. Classical is quite complex, as is jazz, though- I imagine the classical masters are far, far, etc. more complex than the jazz masters.

Either way, it is similar to something Peter said, "the older you get the more you realize how little you know". That is quite true, it seems now.

I have been talking with a teacher of musicology at the local college, and hopefully I can get some lessons. I sure do need them.

Aside from my rambling, are there any fans of jazz here? Some of it seems like very intellectual music?
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

[QUOTE=Preston;47404]

Aside from my rambling, are there any fans of jazz here?[ /QUOTE]

I'm not sure. A friend of a cousin of mine says he came across one some years ago, but it was dark at the time and he was very drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      I have been listening to jazz, for the first time, pretty much. The articles I have read say that jazz and some classical have strong similarities? Is that true?

I am now convinced that while I know somethings about classical- I really know next to nothing. Classical is quite complex, as is jazz, though- I imagine the classical masters are far, far, etc. more complex than the jazz masters.

Either way, it is similar to something Peter said, "the older you get the more you realize how little you know". That is quite true, it seems now.

I have been talking with a teacher of musicology at the local college, and hopefully I can get some lessons. I sure do need them.

Aside from my rambling, are there any fans of jazz here? Some of it seems like very intellectual music?
      Yes I quite like Jazz though I don't listen to it nearly as much as classical. There were (and are) some very fine musicians, chief among the violinists is Stephan Grapelli who was a virtuoso who studied at the Paris conservatoire and was much admired by Yehudi Menuhin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St%C3%A9phane_Grappelli

A very fine sense of rhythm is needed in Jazz and in this respect it is a very useful aid in classical music as well. It also has an attribute now lost to most classical musicans - improvisation.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sorry, Preston, couldn't resist. I like certain types of jazz especially of the type Peter has mentioned above. I have a very enjoyable CD of Grapelli and Menuhin and I quite like old-fashioned trad jazz. I was going to say that I don't like modern jazz but I'm not quite sure what that means - I was calling it modern jazz in the sixties. Anything involving a vibraphone and I'm gone - as in running away.
        (And no salacious remarks, Philip. )

Comment

Well, I quite enjoy jazz you could build a link between classical and jazz concerning the improvisation used in both. There's something called Dixieland Jazz which came out of New Orleans and this would include Louis Armstrong. Also early exponents of this music of which you could include Scott Joplin (ragtime) which would also be a form of music which would also be a favourite of mine.
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Sorry, Preston, couldn't resist. I like certain types of jazz especially of the type Peter has mentioned above. I have a very enjoyable CD of Grapelli and Menuhin and I quite like old-fashioned trad jazz. I was going to say that I don't like modern jazz but I'm not quite sure what that means - I was calling it modern jazz in the sixties. Anything involving a vibraphone and I'm gone - as in running away.
            (And no salacious remarks, Philip. )
            Maybe some form of modern jazz could come from Charles Schulz Peanuts gang. Remember those cartoons? They always had some sort of jazz and classical mixed in. Jazz was also a favourite of Charles S.
            Last edited by Joy; 07-22-2010, 08:31 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

I'm always on the jazz...

Comment

Chris, who is that a picture of?

Comment

Seeing as we are talking about jazz- what about blues? No, not Stevie Ray or Led Zeppelin, . The old and original blues masters. I have been listening to some of the gospel-blues hymns, and I must say there is something very deep in this music.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    Chris, who is that a picture of?
                    That's George Peppard playing Hannibal Smith from a show called The A-Team. There was a catchphrase on the show - "He's on the jazz!" Since I don't particularly like jazz music, the only way I could contribute to this thread was via 80's TV show reference.

Comment

Thanks for the clarifying for me, Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                        Maybe some form of modern jazz could come from Charles Schulz Peanuts gang. Remember those cartoons? They always had some sort of jazz and classical mixed in. Jazz was also a favourite of Charles S.
                        One of that gang was a Beethoven fanatic, wasn't he, Joy. Schroeder, I think. He was always playing on a miniature piano. Were those cartoons ever animated?

Comment

One of that gang was a Beethoven fanatic, wasn't he, Joy. Schroeder, I think. He was always playing on a miniature piano. Were those cartoons ever animated?
                          Sure. They are quite famous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toyLQzd8HrY

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            That's George Peppard playing Hannibal Smith from a show called The A-Team. There was a catchphrase on the show - "He's on the jazz!" Since I don't particularly like jazz music, the only way I could contribute to this thread was via 80's TV show reference.
                            Loved that show and loved George Peppard! He's passed on now.

Comment

Schroeder is right. That's when I first heard Fur Elise and I wanted to learn how to play it so I ran out to the music shop and bought the music sheet. Charles S. was a huge Beethoven fan so he put a bit of himself into those cartoons also the parts where Snoopy was driving the zamboni as Charles S. loved to play hockey. He owned a dog named Spike who he based Snoopy on and then he went on to name another dog Spike in the cartoon only this dog lives in the desert and is a cousin of Snoopy. Even the 'red haired girl' is a part of Charles S. past as he did have a crush on a red haired girl in school and even wanted to marry her but she declined! Maybe she regretted that decision when he became a famous cartoonist. That's no coincidence that he named his main character 'Charlie' Brown.

They were indeed animated. Some of my favourite cartoons are Peanuts.
                              Last edited by Joy; 07-25-2010, 12:56 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Working...
                              X