Floods in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floods in France

I know that there are many disasters in the world far worse than what I post here (see link after). I post it only for the French connection, and the point that such flooding in this region is the worst since 1827. I've never been a "weather buff", but really, it all does seem to be getting out of hand. Here in Strasbourg it's not so bad, but our local river (L'Ill, a tributary of the Rhine) is particularly high, easily covering the pathways and benches along it. My common-law mother-in-law in the village of Altrip, (near Mannheim, and slap-bang on "Old Father Rhine") also reports very high and worrying water levels. I'm afraid at the moment there is no Pastoral "Peasants' Thanksgiving after the Storm" here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...nce-casualties
    Last edited by Quijote; 06-16-2010, 08:01 PM. Reason: I blame industrial society, politicians and GF Handel

We could do with it here in the UK as apparently we are heading for a drought! Seriously though, it is terrible when these floods happen and I hope you stay dry in Strasbourg!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      We could do with it here in the UK as apparently we are heading for a drought! Seriously though, it is terrible when these floods happen and I hope you stay dry in Strasbourg!
      Well, as I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment (right in front of our famous cathedral, as it happens), I think I'll be alright. Still, as the news is all rather depressing I won't keep "dry" in that other sense you might be alluding to. A subtle (and naughty) boy you are, Peter.

Comment

It's been unusually wet where I am, also, but no casualties as a result. Usually, a couple of people will get caught up in the rivers as they crest from the melting snow and drown, but that's more for being careless. There has been some flooding in parts of the city, though.

Comment

Working...
        X