Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patron saint of music

Just out of interest,
    If we were to chose a patron saint for the Beethoven forum, St. Cecelia immediately comes to mind. I don't recall any other saint who was musically inclined, unless members here know of any ?
    Last edited by Megan; 12-17-2009, 06:59 AM.
    🎹

St. Francis of Assisi is known for his "All Creatures of Our God and King." However, I think his specialty was more with animals than music.

Comment

I have certainly only ever heard of St. Cecelia as the patron saint of musicians.

There is Pope St. Gregory I, associated with Gregorian Chant, but he didn't really invent it. There is also Pope St. Pius X who instituted many reforms for liturgical music (which are mostly ignored today anyway), but again, he wasn't known for being a musician himself.

Perhaps if Pope Benedict XVI is canonized some day, he would be a good choice. He loves playing the piano, especially Mozart and our own Beethoven! But that will not be in our lifetimes!

Comment

Yes, Luke was the physician. St. Philip is the patron of hatters and pastry chefs, so I don't think we get too much help there...

Comment

Then there is Saint Francis De Sales who is the patron saint of deaf people.
          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            Yes, Luke was the physician. St. Philip is the patron of hatters and pastry chefs, so I don't think we get too much help there...
            Didn't Beethoven like a good pastry?

Comment

What about Saint Michael? He was an archangel, wasn't he, so he could and should lord it over the rest of you lesser beings (I nearly said mortals!)

Comment

^ True. Even Satan didn't mess around with that guy.

Comment

Ah yes, Archangel St. Michael is a good choice as well since he is the patron saint of Heiligenstadt. Below is a picture of the Österreichische Gemeindewappen (Austrian Civic Heraldry) or the coat of arms for Heiligenstadt, where both Beethoven and I loved and I now live in:

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Well, Beethoven once had a St. Bernard connection...

Comment

Working...
                    X