Handel limericks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handel limericks

A former member of this forum who considers only two composers top-rate - Handel and Beethoven - now runs a classical music forum of his own elsewhere. I read recently for the first time that Handel was a glutton, who amazed and sickened his friends with the amount of food he ate at a sitting, and even, when inviting others to dinner, selfishly kept the largest amount of food for himself. Then I could not resist poking a little fun at the Orpheus of 18th century London on that forum, whose owner has so often disparaged my beloved JS Bach in GF Handel's favor. In a minor creative frenzy unparalleled in my own life, I disgorged a small bunch of Handel gluttony limericks in one sitting. Hopefully in the Comedy Corner they will not be thought inappropriate. Although they did not get me banned from that other forum, they came within a boar's whisker of it. A succulent roast boar's whisker.

George Handel's genius was noted
    for music that raptur'sly floated
    in realms high above
    but his down-to-earth love
    was to eat like a pig and and get bloated.

Handel said why eat a goose
    If instead you could feast on a moose
    But better than that
    If you want to get fat
    Is to eat a moose stuffed with a goose.

Cheaper than operas to stage
    Oratorios became all the rage
    With profits therefrom
    George F. had become
    The biggest man of the age

Lead pois'ning is thought to be why
    Some composers early did die
    Yet it might be more fitting
    To remember one sitting
    When Handel scarfed down fifty pies

Handel and Bach fain would meet
    If Handel could get past the street
    where a tavern door boasted
    the odor of fresh roasted
    walrus, my lord what a treat!

Handel was eating a tree
    when a root knocked his dentures free
    He swallowed them too
    "What is one to do? -
    They taste great also!" said he.

Handel woke up one fine morn
    Starving, with stomach forlorn,
    He ate the bedpost
    then swallowed down most
    of the box spring, but his windpipe got torn
    Last edited by Chaszz; 12-15-2009, 03:15 PM.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Ho Ho Ho! Indeed no fear of a roasting here Chaszz - and good to hear from you again after a little absinthe, sorry absence - please excuse my lisp!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Ho Ho Ho! Indeed no fear of a roasting here Chaszz - and good to hear from you again after a little absinthe, sorry absence - please excuse my lisp!
      Thanks, Peter.
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
        Although they did not get me banned from that other forum, they came within a boar's whisker of it. A succulent roast boar's whisker.
        Not true, you will never get barred Chaszz. I'm still waiting for you to make even one comment in the dozens of Bach topics there are at my site from which your name is absent, but it appears you are only interested is spouting hyperbole. A typical Bachian trait from my experience...
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
          Not true, you will never get barred Chaszz. I'm still waiting for you to make even one comment in the dozens of Bach topics there are at my site from which your name is absent, but it appears you are only interested is spouting hyperbole. A typical Bachian trait from my experience...
          Rod! Where have you been? (Actually, I know - I've been a lurker). And Chaszz. Could we not have you all back? Even fighting?
          Last edited by Michael; 01-26-2010, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Rod! Where have you been? (Actually, I know - I've been a lurker).
            Where you have been lurking is indeed where I have been, and where I will be.
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
              Where you have been lurking is indeed where I have been, and where I will be.
              Still causing mayhem?

Comment

Working...
              X