Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello!

I wanted to introduce myself, I am a stay-at-home mother of 3 who just bought a piano recently and started taking piano lessons. I have just learned the simplified versions of "Moonlight Sonata" and "Fur Elise". I was wondering if I can post here from time to time with some questions/comments, like if anyone knows of a good piano book on simplified versions of Beethoven's works for a beginner? The 2 pieces I had I was given by an aunt but she didn't have anything else by Beethoven that I could play, the rest are the original versions.

I love Beethoven, I have been reading his life story (a book called The Beethoven Companion - a comprehensive guide to Beethoven - his life and work, publ.1972). It has made me a true fan of the man and his genius. What a thrill it would have been to be able to meet him in person!

Have a nice day, everyone, you have a very nice website here and I am looking forward to reading more of your posts

Welcome Julie - I hope you'll feel free to ask anything you want to know.

I don't know personally of any book devoted specifically to easy arrangements of Beethoven, but you may find some sheet music at

http://www.music-scores.com/index.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, welcome! It is good to see people taking piano lessons and appreciating Beethoven!

You might try searching http://www.sheetmusicplus.com for what you are looking for.

Comment

Thank you for the links! Do you have any piano playing people (heehee try that 3 times fast!) on your forums? I don't know anything about any of you so I would love to hear a bit more, how did you all start loving Beethoven? Who first introduced you to his work? When did it become a passion? Are you all musicians or simply love listening to beautiful music, or what? sorry for all the questions, I am just so thrilled to have found this neat site!!!

P.S. I am searching for the "reply" feature and can only see the "reply with quote" option (I had to delete manually the quoted text in the present post), am I overlooking it or is the regular "post a reply" feature not available?

Thanks

Comment

It's right next to the "Post New Topic" button near the top of the page.

I do play the piano (badly) and the violin (VERY badly) I wish I could have gone to school for it, but I didn't think I was up to competing with the million other pianists and violinists out there

Comment

Originally posted by Julie:
            Thank you for the links! Do you have any piano playing people (heehee try that 3 times fast!) on your forums? I don't know anything about any of you so I would love to hear a bit more, how did you all start loving Beethoven? Who first introduced you to his work? When did it become a passion? Are you all musicians or simply love listening to beautiful music, or what? sorry for all the questions, I am just so thrilled to have found this neat site!!!

P.S. I am searching for the "reply" feature and can only see the "reply with quote" option (I had to delete manually the quoted text in the present post), am I overlooking it or is the regular "post a reply" feature not available?

Thanks
            I am a pianist and music teacher - The first Beethoven piece I played was 'Grandmother's minuet' when I was about 8 - By the time I was 10, I had progressed to the Pathetique Sonata. When I was 12 I bought my first Beethoven record - the 4th and 5th Symphonies and I was totally bowled over. I joined the music library and took out all the Beethoven symphonies one by one.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Julie:
              .....I was wondering if I can post here from time to time with some questions/comments, like if anyone knows of a good piano book on simplified versions of Beethoven's works for a beginner? ....

Hi Julie! Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to ask questions (I've done that a fair amount) as there always seems to be someone able to help out.
              With regards to a simplified Beethoven book, my daughter has one called 'The Best of Beethoven'. ISBN # is 0-7119-7950-2. I got it for her about a year ago so it should still be available. The pieces are for grades 2-4.

I love Beethoven, I have been reading his life story (a book called The Beethoven Companion - a comprehensive guide to Beethoven - his life and work, publ.1972). It has made me a true fan of the man and his genius. What a thrill it would have been to be able to meet him in person!

I know the book! It's excellent! You really get a good picture of the man. And I agree. It would have been amazing to meet him, although I'd probably have gotten tongue-tied and embarassed myself!

Have a nice day, everyone, you have a very nice website here and I am looking forward to reading more of your posts
              And you have a good day too.

Mary

Comment

Hi Mary! Thank you for the book suggestion, I have just sent my online order for "The Best of Beethoven" and should receive it within 2 weeks! I was looking for something not too easy because I am a fast learner, but I am still not very skilled yet, so I think this book is going to be perfect for me, and will keep me busy for a while!!!

I am glad you have also read the book on Beethoven that I mentioned, it is so filled with information, it is unbelievable! Reading it made me fall in love with the great man... If only we could travel through time!

Thanks again for the welcome and the book suggestion!

Comment

Glad to be of service, Julie! I just hope it's what you were looking for.

BTW, how did you get 'turned on' to LvB? Has it been a life-long love affair or was it a more recent conversion?

Mary

Comment

Originally posted by MCS:
                    Glad to be of service, Julie! I just hope it's what you were looking for.

BTW, how did you get 'turned on' to LvB? Has it been a life-long love affair or was it a more recent conversion?

Mary
                    To be honest with you, classical music is relatively new to me. I have always been surrounded by music though because my father was a guitarist for many years (played in a band in the 50's and 60's, when I was growing up) I received my first instrument (accoustic guitar) at 15 and played mostly popular songs. My older brothers are also guitarists. To make a long story short, I had never had the priviledge of being around a piano before our recent purchase (my hubby bought me this one as a b-day present!) I have fallen in love with it! What a beautiful instrument (and it hurts my fingers a lot less than my guitar! tee hee)

I have always been a sensitive person, reading about Beethoven's life of suffering, his many illnesses, obstacles and challenges in life, his great compassion and his wonderful gift to mankind (his music) how can anyone resist being totally mesmerized by him and his life?

I am sure that is more than what you wanted to know...hahaha

So that is my tale, I am rather curious to know how others here discovered Beethoven and what it is that they admire the most about him. If anyone would like sharing

=edited for typo

[This message has been edited by Julie (edited 07-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Julie (edited 07-27-2001).]

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Julie:
                      I have always been a sensitive person, reading about Beethoven's life of suffering, his many illnesses, obstacles and challenges in life, his great compassion and his wonderful gift to mankind (his music) how can anyone resist being totally mesmerized by him and his life?

I agree totally. He certainly suffered a lot in his lifetime, but I doubt that his music would have been the same if he had lead a happy, comfortable existence. But what courage and determination he had!

....I am sure that is more than what you wanted to know...hahaha

No, not at all.

...So that is my tale, I am rather curious to know how others here discovered Beethoven and what it is that they admire the most about him. If anyone would like sharing

Sure..Like you, I have come to classical music relatively recently. I started listening to it several years ago, although at first I considered it merely background music. That opinion changed the day I heard Beethoven's Ninth and my admiration for the man and his music has grown ever since. There is a depth of feeling in his music I have not found in any other music and his music moves me in ways no other music does.
                      My only regret is that I didn't discover him much earlier.

Mary

Comment

I first heard Beethoven when I was 6. It was the 9th Sym. before I ever knew the name of Beethoven, but that's all it took. After that I started playing the piano and my first song I learned was The Minuet in G then Fur Elise,
                        then buying all his symphonies, then all the piano sonatas and concertos, etc. etc. and so on. Then I started reading books and getting to know him and his music. It just seems to take off from there and kind of snowballs into your life's interest. One thing's for sure, I don't think there's any turning back.

Joy
                        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                          ..... It just seems to take off from there and kind of snowballs into your life's interest. One thing's for sure, I don't think there's any turning back.

Joy
                          I've always suspected that there is something addictive about the man and his music.

Mary

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Julie. I'm happy you are taking up the instrument (IMO, the greatest of musical instruments) even though you are an adult. It's never too late. I started late myself, though not as late as you. (I was almost fifteen.) I am now involved in music as a profession. You may not be looking for something like that, but you will certainly find music study enriching. As the husband of a "stay at home mom" I know you need an outlet of this sort.

Reading about the life of the composer will add immensely to your enjoyment.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes you are right, I do need this as an outlet, believe me! tee hee Since I just started learning the piano (it's been about 6 months now) I am not very good at it yet, but I am progressing! And I agree, the piano is such a wonderful instrument. I can't wait to be able to play without having to look at my finger positions!

Although I don't post often, I do read most every post. I sometimes don't have much to contribute to the topic as I am not an expert on Beethoven, far from it. But I still enjoy this website tremendously.

Comment

Working...
                              X