X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleepy

It has become a sleepy place in here.
    🎹

Not at all surprising. You have one significant troll, Quijote, who has scared off not only myself but others (some time ago) from this site because of abuse. I've sometimes tried to start up again with a new username (having long forgotten previous sign-in info) hoping to avoid the troll but he's always on the lookout. Even when he's been absent for months I'll dip my toes in and, sure enough, out he comes again. I can take care of myself most of the time, but the question is why anybody needs to protect herself from trolls? When I did fight back, well over a decade ago I was banned from the BRS!! Much of that was misogyny, and other active members at the time walked away in disgust.

To the owner of this site; do you know that not controlling trolling/stalking/abuse on the internet is a criminal offence? Quijote followed me to all subsequent (3) boards after this one, but these days I'm happily on a small American site and have been for over a decade, despite the occasional hiatus. I am helping with legal essays for my sister's law degree and the subject of my current project is internet harassment and stalking!! The laws are changing rapidly in response to this growing menace. Refusal to MODERATE trolls is no longer a safe option.

When you chase away intelligent and willing contributors the current situation here at BRS is the end result. People should be able to comment without lashings of personal abuse.

Auf wiedersehen!
    Last edited by Velvet; 05-22-2024, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Velvet,,, you need to let bygone's be bygones.. Its not worth the energy wasted on what happened in the past on a website. if you create a different account with a different name and start afresh then no-one would be any wiser as to your previous battles or disagreements with certain members. You have a choice to ignore or block them out.
      This site is run very professionally and I am sorry to disagree with your accusation against Quijote , his posts are highly appreciated and informative, and often clever witted. I have no idea if you know him personally. It's only a website, and we can all agree to disagree without animosity. But you have made it known who your are now, and I hope your sole reason for your posting is not just to spam us and have a moan, then disappear again. That would be a pity.

I see looking at this thread:- The untold story of the Black French maestro Joseph Bologne.
      There is perfectly amicable interaction between you and Quijote.....

Admin runs this site very professionally, and would never tolerate trolls or spamming , and certainly is not responsible for what happens on other sites.
      Last edited by Megan; 05-23-2024, 07:16 AM.
      🎹

Comment

I used to work with a clever Indian doctor who taught me not to waste energy on getting angry or flustered, and to have an air of confidence. He was such a wonderful calming influence which was essential in the hospital environment we worked in. I will never forget him.
        🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Velvet,,, you need to let bygone's be bygones.. Its not worth the energy wasted on what happened in the past on a website. if you create a different account with a different name and start afresh then no-one would be any wiser as to your previous battles or disagreements with certain members. You have a choice to ignore or block them out.
          This site is run very professionally and I am sorry to disagree with your accusation against Quijote , his posts are highly appreciated and informative, and often clever witted. I have no idea if you know him personally. It's only a website, and we can all agree to disagree without animosity. But you have made it known who your are now, and I hope your sole reason for your posting is not just to spam us and have a moan, then disappear again. That would be a pity.

I see looking at this thread:- The untold story of the Black French maestro Joseph Bologne.
          There is perfectly amicable interaction between you and Quijote.....

Admin runs this site very professionally, and would never tolerate trolls or spamming , and certainly is not responsible for what happens on other sites.
          I don't really care because so much time has elapsed and I have several grandchildren now but, as I said, I've been on another US board for over 10 years. I'm merely trying to explain TO YOU why this board is all but dead, and that trolling is now illegal in many jurisdictions. Actions. Consequences. You might think the board is run well but nobody posts here so it's like waiting for Godot!! When you turn away good people over time there's an opportunity cost. If you enjoy it, then good for you.

I'm putting it out there about your lack of interest here at the BRS - and this is not something which is a feature of the one I'm currently enjoying, which is busy and active all the time, with about 25 members all up. For that number the activity is way above the usual. I've learned a lot from those folks, and had some political arguments. Some are Juilliard graduates, some active musicians but most are fervent collectors and concert-goers. Some have died in the last years but the remaining regulars are undaunted. I enjoy the challenge of often very intensive technical music discussions, something you wouldn't get here in a million years. I don't intend to post but merely came today to explain why the sound of crickets is pervasive at the BRS.

Cheers.
          Last edited by Velvet; 05-23-2024, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet View Post

I don't really care because so much time has elapsed and I have several grandchildren now but, as I said, I've been on another US board for over 10 years. I'm merely trying to explain why this board is all but dead. Actions. Consequences. You might think the board is run well but nobody posts here so it's like waiting for Godot!! When you turn away good people over time there's an opportunity cost. If you enjoy it, then good for you.

Fascinating that you enjoy Quijote when he's been banned from all other boards. That's not something which is a feature of the one I'm currently enjoyed.

Just saying.

Cheers.

Yes, there are a few niche classical music music forums, and I think the biggest one is Talk Classical. I am not a prolific poster myself but I like to keep interest going. It all depends on how much you want to participate really and how much time people have.. I don't think Admin here minds if there are not many posters, as the site is mainly kept up as a reference site for Beethoven studies, and i am sure some folks probably look in more than they post. But, I agree, it would be nice if it was a bit more populated.
            I am not aware of goings on with Q. So let's not worry our heads about that. If you feel like posting again , anything that would get things moving a bit , I am sure that would be much appreciated.
            Last edited by Megan; 05-23-2024, 11:38 AM.
            🎹

Comment

My experiences, which go back considerably, with the individual in question has always been positive. Some of the long-time posters here have gotten older and no longer are active in this type of social media. There are other forms of social media, these days, that are taking up more of our time, so we spend less time here. I, myself, post far less than what I used to, but that has more to do with time spent elsewhere, rather than being "chased away". Whether I agree or disagree with the opinions of said individual, I often have found his remarks intelligent, witty, and thought-provoking. Not all people can disagree without hostility.

Comment

I agree Sorrano, we go a long way back on this forum, seen it busy with heated arguments at times, but that hasn't happened for many years now.
                As you mentioned, I think forums aren't so popular now as folks move onto other types as social media, esp. facebook, lots of music sites and piano forums there. But I don't always like to be on facebook, that can get a bit stale too. People get older , their eyesight isn't so good as it used to be, or grandparents spending time with grandchildren and families.
                Times change and not always for the best. I agree with what you say about Q. He hasn't been around for a while either and is missed.
                I put a post up the other week, for a bit of activity , but no one was interested , so I removed it.
                Last edited by Megan; 05-23-2024, 03:10 PM.
                🎹

Comment

Well what can I say? We have been around on this forum a long time (nearly 24 years) and I suppose it was inevitable that things would slow down as the initial enthusiasm wains. I'm very grateful for all the members here who have stuck around and who do still post from time to time. For myself, there are so many other interests that it isn't possible to spend the time I used to - I also think we are probably hard to find on search engines and technology has moved on enormously since we started.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes Peter, but I don't think we need disappear altogether, at least I hope not. lIke you I try to squeeze in a bit of time here too between other interests.
                    It is like visiting an old friend . A nice peaceful place. Just recently , I have made the garden look very colourful with roses and potting plants in various plant tubs and it is lovely to sit and watch what you created. I am just waiting for all the rain to come and probably ruin it ..
                    🎹

Comment

There have been a lot of good people pass by this way, and hopefully more to come. As the forum has slowed a bit I can say that is true of myself, as well. But my interest in good music and other people who enjoy good music does not wane but ever grows stronger.

Comment

Forums in general just aren't that popular anymore. And Google works a lot differently in terms of what results it shows. When this place started, the Internet was a place for enthusiasts of various sorts. Now it's a lot more commercial. Social media sites that keep you clicking and addicted are the current flavor of the month. But I like forums - I think they lend themselves to longer, slower, more deep discussions. And I don't like social media, which is mostly a bunch of time wasting nonsense. So the forum is here and will be here, come what may.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan
                          It has become a sleepy place in here.
                          I'm still here, haven't had the time to post much for a while (some personal challenges that I won't bore you with) but I'll be sticking around, no worries!

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet
                            I was banned from the BRS!!
                            Yes, you were; I wasn't. Must have been some sort of conspiracy.

Comment

Working...
                            X