2003 Grammy's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Grammy's

Over the weekend they had the Grammy Awards for Music and this is from one of the catagories for the classical music realm I thought you might be interested in.

For Best Chamber Music Performance the Grammy goes to;

Beethoven: String Quartets ("Razumovsky" Op. 59, 1-3; "Harp" Op. 74)

Takács Quartet
    Andrew Keener, producer
    Decca Records

'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    Over the weekend they had the Grammy Awards for Music and this is from one of the catagories for the classical music realm I thought you might be interested in.

Takács Quartet
    Andrew Keener, producer
    Decca Records

It got good reviews over here (UK) too, but I've never head any of this quartet's recordings.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

The highlights of the Grammy Awards will be on one of our channels tonight. After reading your message, Joy, I might keep one eye on them.
      Although, I'm not so sure .... I see Eminem's name cropping up ..... I know he is a great musician ... almost greater than Mozart .... but still .......

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        It got good reviews over here (UK) too, but I've never head any of this quartet's recordings.

A couple of days ago on the radio they played one of the movements of this String Quartet #59. Very good!

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
          The highlights of the Grammy Awards will be on one of our channels tonight. After reading your message, Joy, I might keep one eye on them.
          Although, I'm not so sure .... I see Eminem's name cropping up ..... I know he is a great musician ... almost greater than Mozart .... but still .......

Michael
          Well, good luck if they show any of the classical music catagories on your program. Here they go fast through the classical winners and no performances included on the show of the classical music. I heard who won in this catagory listening to the classical radio and reading the paper the next morning. I wouldn't sit through three hours of that music on the Grammy's. And you're right, I read that M & M won two grammy's and performed as well!

Joy

Comment

Just on the general topics of pop music, the Grammys, decline of Western civ, etc., I'm listening now to a mix of Radiohead that my daughter made for me. They are simply great, I don't care what anyone says. I've liked them before and now I love them. I don't know if they won any Grammys. Anyone else tried them? I would put up a track if it didn't definitely violate the ground rules here.
            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
              ...Although, I'm not so sure .... I see Eminem's name cropping up ..... I know he is a great musician ... almost greater than Mozart .... but still .......

Michael
              ;-))))))))))
              Gurn
              PS - I looked all over CNN's website Monday AM to find out who won this year and there was no mention of it. That sucks. And yet, we are among the most loyal fans of any genre, and among the few who continually shell out the big bucks to support our musicians. Makes you wonder what it takes, a lobotomy might be in order....
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The Grammy awards once again show both ends of the evolutionary scale, from the sub-literate pathalogical drivel of the likes of em & em, to the soaring spiritual and intellectual granduer of Beethoven's string quartet's.
                What I would like to know, who on earth listens to a sociopath like em&em, and isn't it rather concerning that American society awards such people.
                I am not saying everythingin British culture,is bright and rosy far from it, but when we produce pop musicians on the whole, even the more outragous ones manage to combine rebellion with wit, humour and self deprecation such as the sex pistols who lead the late 70's punk culture in Britian.
                I can't understand why everyone gets excited about the Grammy awards, which surely are rendered meaningless, when the likes of crass, artless rebels who call themselves 'musicians' are actually considered to have talent and nominated for awards. It doesn't worry me that I may be alone in thinking that these awards are rather meaningless and sad.
                Beethoven rises above all this, for he is the supreme God of music.

Comment

Well judging by the no. of CDs M&M sells it seems to me that we CM lovers are well in the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

Takács Quartet
                    Andrew Keener, producer
                    Decca Records
                    They deserve it. I've heard them do Op. 131 live. Utterly magnificent! Their concerts here at the University of Colorado in Boulder are always sold out, often months in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by mspaceray:
                      Well judging by the no. of CDs M&M sells it seems to me that we CM lovers are well in the minority.
                      Say, aren't you the former spaceray that we all know and love? ;-)
                      Anyway, sure, we're a minority, but so what? Even if they won't burn air time showing us the award presentations, they could at least let us know who won! And they also don't have any problen collecting our money, I notice. If there was no market for CM, you wouldn't see it out there at all. And while Lysander's comment about "psychopathic drivel" (I think he said) may be a bit extreme, he's not that far off the mark. Perhaps our ladies just don't show enough skin on their album covers, although I remember a couple of years ago that a couple of them came in for some extreme criticism for being "exploitative" for wearing low cut gowns on a cover, and one actually did a nudie, albeit with critical areas covered, and came in for no end of derision from people who were concerned that this music might actually be purchased for the cover art instead of the inside art! I think Ofra Harnoy had the right idea in her album of Vivaldi Cello Sonatas on RCA which had just the most sensuous poster inside, if that news had gotten out there would have been a riot at Tower! ;-))
                      Regards, Gurn
                      Regards,
                      Gurn
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
                        Just on the general topics of pop music, the Grammys, decline of Western civ, etc., I'm listening now to a mix of Radiohead that my daughter made for me.
                        I know Radiohead, although i'm ambivalent to their music. Bjork's classical training comes out in her music, i love her stuff. She frequently does versions of her stuff with the Brodsky Quartet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
                          Say, aren't you the former spaceray that we all know and love? ;-)
                          Anyway, sure, we're a minority, but so what? Even if they won't burn air time showing us the award presentations, they could at least let us know who won! And they also don't have any problen collecting our money, I notice. If there was no market for CM, you wouldn't see it out there at all. And while Lysander's comment about "psychopathic drivel" (I think he said) may be a bit extreme, he's not that far off the mark. Perhaps our ladies just don't show enough skin on their album covers, although I remember a couple of years ago that a couple of them came in for some extreme criticism for being "exploitative" for wearing low cut gowns on a cover, and one actually did a nudie, albeit with critical areas covered, and came in for no end of derision from people who were concerned that this music might actually be purchased for the cover art instead of the inside art! I think Ofra Harnoy had the right idea in her album of Vivaldi Cello Sonatas on RCA which had just the most sensuous poster inside, if that news had gotten out there would have been a riot at Tower! ;-))
                          Regards, Gurn
                          Yes it is I .Boy is there ever a lot of catching up to do here.I would like to hear more public CM ,just once I would like to shop at a store or dine in a restaurant that was not playing Rock or pop music but they no longer exist.

Comment

Originally posted by mspaceray:
                            Yes it is I .Boy is there ever a lot of catching up to do here.I would like to hear more public CM ,just once I would like to shop at a store or dine in a restaurant that was not playing Rock or pop music but they no longer exist.
                            One of my big surprises during a period when I traveled on business a lot was to walk into the Radisson Hotel in Springfield Massachusetts at 2:00 on a Monday morning to check in after driving most of the night to get there, and they were playing one of my favorite SQ's, Haydn's Op 76 #2 (Quintens), and they continued to play high quality classical music over the public sound system the whole week I was there. I guess it was such a rarity that it has stuck in my memory these last 6 years now.
                            Regards, Gurn
                            Regards,
                            Gurn
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Here in Victoria's downtown core the city is struggling with young homeless travellers who beg for change on the streets,a lot of the locals feel that these kids are intimidating and wanted to move them away from the Macdonalds where they hang out.They have done it by playing Classical Music through loudspeakers onto the streets.

Comment

Working...
                              X