GLENN GLOUD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GLENN GLOUD

COSA MI DITE A PROPOSITO DI GLENN GLOUD E DEI SUOI SCRITTI SULLA MUSICA?

Originally posted by ULADIGNI:
    COSA MI DITE A PROPOSITO DI GLENN GLOUD E DEI SUOI SCRITTI SULLA MUSICA?
    Not a favourite of mine, as a Beethoven pianist nor as a singer!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Not a favourite of mine, as a Beethoven pianist nor as a singer!

wow Glenn Gould was a singer too?
      Have you ever seen his stance at the piano he sat so low down the keyboard was at his chest level,it looks like the chair he took around with him had the legs sawn off it.
      You sure couldn't learn to play the piano from watching other people !
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
        wow Glenn Gould was a singer too?
        Have you ever seen his stance at the piano he sat so low down the keyboard was at his chest level,it looks like the chair he took around with him had the legs sawn off it.
        You sure couldn't learn to play the piano from watching other people !
        spaceray,
        No, he didn't really 'sing', that was a stunning bit of wit from the ever droll Rod. Gould actually grunted most of time while he played, much like women tennis players seem to do a lot today. The overall effect can be a bit disconcerting, I might say! I do my best to ignore because he plays so damn well, but it can be like listening to Monica Seles play Serena Williams at Wimbledon, ya'know?
        Regards, Gurn
        Regards,
        Gurn
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
          spaceray,
          No, he didn't really 'sing', that was a stunning bit of wit from the ever droll Rod. Gould actually grunted most of time while he played, much like women tennis players seem to do a lot today. The overall effect can be a bit disconcerting, I might say! I do my best to ignore because he plays so damn well, but it can be like listening to Monica Seles play Serena Williams at Wimbledon, ya'know?
          Regards, Gurn
          The first time I heard that I was listening to some Bach my brother had recorded for me. I thought he had done a poor job and I could hear him in the background of the recording. It was Gould all along.

Comment

I watched a video tape of him once and didn't know that he 'sings' while playing, anyway, I found it quite annoying and couldn't concentrate on his playing. However, he did play well, but the humming was distracting. And I noticed too that he did sit rather low at the keyboard.

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
              The first time I heard that I was listening to some Bach my brother had recorded for me. I thought he had done a poor job and I could hear him in the background of the recording. It was Gould all along.
              I have only ever heard him in Bach and found him technically brilliant but rather mechanical.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                I have only ever heard him in Bach and found him technically brilliant but rather mechanical.

Oops! I didn't specify what I meant. I meant that I thought my brother had done a poor recording job because of the extra-curricular sounds I was hearing. Afterwards I found out it was Gould humming in the background. I thought he played the music quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

The video I had of him showed him playing Beethoven's Bagatelles Opus 126 and Piano Concerto #4. I agree with you on him being somewhat mechanical and again the 'singing' was distracting.

Joy

Comment

I listened to a short piece from the Appasionata sonata played by Gould.
                    It was played in a radio music magazine.
                    I found the playing quite strange and I wanted to ask what do you think of Gould as a Beethoven's performer.

He's surely a most brilliant Bachist but Beethoven ???

I also know that there is a great (true) story about him performing the Brahms 1st concerto on stage with Bernstein as the conductor.
                    It's really an interesting story - if you want, I can try to tell it here (translating it from a book).

Comment

Originally posted by m:

I listened to a short piece from the Appasionata sonata played by Gould.
                      It was played in a radio music magazine.
                      I found the playing quite strange and I wanted to ask what do you think of Gould as a Beethoven's performer.

It's really an interesting story - if you want, I can try to tell it here (translating it from a book).

I checked out a video of Gould performing Beethoven's bagatelles and I enjoyed his playing although it is rather 'mechanical'. I couldn't get past his humming along with his playing. I did find that distracting.

If you want to print that story about Brahms and Bernstein here I would be interested.

Joy

Comment

Hi Joy,

Well, I found it on the web. I haven't read all of it yet but I guess that's the story I wanted to tell.
                        http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mwatts/glenn/lennie.html

m.

Comment

Originally posted by m:
                          Hi Joy,

Well, I found it on the web. I haven't read all of it yet but I guess that's the story I wanted to tell.

m.

That would certainly be a fascinating recording to hear. Imagining Gould playing
                          Brahms is even stranger than imagining him playing Beethoven.

- Chaszz

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited February 24, 2003).]
                          See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by m:
                            Hi Joy,

m.
                            Thanks for that m - an enjoyable article.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Chaszz,

Yes, I remember hearing it once (they played it in the radio). It really was ... special.

Quite "Bachist", if I may describe it this way.

Comment

Working...
                              X