Beethoven's Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Height

I am working on a project and I need to know Beethoven's height. Does anyone have that information?

thanks

He was rather short and stocky, around 5'2" I think.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

According to Schindler he was short, about 1.68 meters (approx. 5 feet 5 inches). The report of the exhumation of 1863 shows that Schindler's guess wasn't that far off.

Comment

Acording to the Beethoven Encyclopedia "he was 5'4", had a rather short and stocky body with broad shoulders. By the time he moved to Vienna he had become more slender." Wasn't that an average height for those days?

Joy
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Yes, Joy, I've also always assumed 5'4". Thus making him precisely the same height as Mr Mozart.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            Acording to the Beethoven Encyclopedia "he was 5'4", had a rather short and stocky body with broad shoulders. By the time he moved to Vienna he had become more slender." Wasn't that an average height for those days?

Joy
            I'm not sure that it was average - Beethoven seems to have been regarded as short even by the standards of the day. I'm no expert on this, but I remember asking about it on a visit to Nelson's ship 'Victory' - they weren't as short as the floor heights suggest - I believe Hardy (obviously an exception) was over 6' which must have meant a lot of backache or headaches!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              I'm not sure that it was average - Beethoven seems to have been regarded as short even by the standards of the day. I'm no expert on this, but I remember asking about it on a visit to Nelson's ship 'Victory' - they weren't as short as the floor heights suggest - I believe Hardy (obviously an exception) was over 6' which must have meant a lot of backache or headaches!

I know what you mean. When I visit historical houses of old the doorways are always lower than usual suggesting everyone was much shorter than they are today. On a trip to Mount Vernon I noticed that about the doorways and President George Washington (who lived there) was over 6'. An exception too I'm sure.

Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
              X