Beethoven's home(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's home(s)

While on a visit to Vienna two years ago, I found that Beethoven lived in 67 differnet dwellings. I find that to be an exhausting amount of work. I do not doubt the validity, but would like to find out more about how it was done - when considering that his piano went with him as well.

------------------
    Jack R. Schmidt, Chair
    Department of Music and
    Theatre
    Lock Haven University of
    P
    Jack R. Schmidt, Chair
    Department of Music and
    Theatre
    Lock Haven University of
    P

Didn't Beethoven simply move to a new place whenever it became so intolerably filthy that even he could not bear it.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Schmidt:
      While on a visit to Vienna two years ago, I found that Beethoven lived in 67 differnet dwellings. I find that to be an exhausting amount of work. I do not doubt the validity, but would like to find out more about how it was done - when considering that his piano went with him as well.

As well as Beethoven, I'm a Wagner fan also*, and he too moved (or in his case was sometimes run out of town), scores of times. Labor was relatively very cheap in those days and most people of middle class means had several servants. In Cosima Wagner's diaries the servants are almost never mentioned yet they are obviously always doing things in the background. E.g., the couple go away by train without the children and it is never mentioned who is taking care of the children. Also I'm sure that movers were always glad to get work, and pianos were smaller also. I don't think either Beethoven or Wagner did too much more work when moving except show up at the new place.

*Indulgently tolerated in my ravings by the people at this site, most of whom do not like Wagner's music.

[This message has been edited by Chaszz (edited January 29, 2003).]
      See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Most of which are listed on this site at
        www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/addresses.html

Only a few of the lodgings are still in existence and new buildings have replaced the original. Some of these can be viewed at
        www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/houses.htm

The piano probably was the main item to accompany him along with his music and a few paintings (including the one of his grandfather) - it is amazing that letters such as the Immortal beloved and the Heiligenstadt Testament were not lost considering the number of moves they were subjected to!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I am completely amazed at the great amount of information I have received from this site in a very short period of time.
          I am glad I found this forum. It will add greatly to my next visit to Vienna.

Thanks so Much!

Jack Schmidt
          Jack R. Schmidt, Chair
          Department of Music and
          Theatre
          Lock Haven University of
          P

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            Didn't Beethoven simply move to a new place whenever it became so intolerably filthy that even he could not bear it.
            That and also because he made so much noise banging away at the piano in the middle of the night that the landlord's wanted him out!!

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

It really is mind boggling how much this man moved in his lifetime. he must really have been restless.

Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                That and also because he made so much noise banging away at the piano in the middle of the night that the landlord's wanted him out!!

Joy
                Not to mention the water pouring through the ceiling to the floor below when B poured a jug of cold water over himself !

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                  I do seem to recall that. Most of the pictures in books dipict a rather cluttered room.
                  Jack
                  Jack R. Schmidt, Chair
                  Department of Music and
                  Theatre
                  Lock Haven University of
                  P

Comment

Living here in Heiligenstadt you'll come across many of Beethoven's old abodes. They are still standing, I'm glad to say and there are quite a few here in Vienna that are still with us. As you'll see on the site that Peter listed above, there are photos of just some of Beethoven's lodgings.

One of the reasons that he moved so much was, for example, summertime in Vienna were a bit hot. Moving out here to Heiligenstadt, where it is cooler and much more quiet, was a great escape from the madness of the inner city. There's the Vienna Woods and the Kahlenberg here. Even to this day you will find that when it's the weekend or a holiday with sunshine, many of the Viennese will make their way to the Vienna Woods and the Kahlenberg. I know why Beethoven loved it here in Heiligenstadt and I love it as well.

Comment

Andrea,
                      Thanks for that insight. I took a bus tour to the Vienna Woods but it was over the Christmas Holiday when I was there. My next trip to Vienna will be in the Summer time.
                      Jack R. Schmidt, Chair
                      Department of Music and
                      Theatre
                      Lock Haven University of
                      P

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                        As you'll see on the site that Peter listed above, there are photos of just some of Beethoven's lodgings.

Shame on me - I forgot to mention that the photos of B's lodgings are from Andrea - Many thanks Andrea!!!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                          Shame on me - I forgot to mention that the photos of B's lodgings are from Andrea - Many thanks Andrea!!!

You're welcome very much, Peter. Just remember that if any of you out there in this Beethoven foremland ever decide to visit Vienna, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to show you around Beethoven's and mine Vienna.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                            You're welcome very much, Peter. Just remember that if any of you out there in this Beethoven foremland ever decide to visit Vienna, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to show you around Beethoven's and mine Vienna.
                            Do you do accommodation and breakfast too Andrea?

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                              Do you do accommodation and breakfast too Andrea?

Hey Rod, if my flat was bigger than 34 sq. meters I could do a bit of B&B. I assure you that my attempt at cooking would be a bit better than Beethoven's. Thank god my husband can cook...

Comment

Working...
                              X