No announcement yet.

Sonatina in G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's interesting because on the "unheard Beethoven" website, they say the Sonatina in F was really supposed to be a sonata but only 2 parts of it were found, and it was published, and I quote, "long after Beethoven's death". I wonder which is true?

Comment

I had heard that Beethoven may not have composed the Sonatina in G and was really disappointed since I had already spent a year on it as a beginner. But at another site several people said it sounded like early Beethoven and more likely than not it was him. Julie, you named two of his solos that I adore and want to play -- the Pathetique and the Moonlight. Both, however, I think are advanced pieces, esp the Pathetique which I tackled once because I wanted to play so badly but gave up in frustration. I've been on the piano about 3 years, although the first two were with a little 4-octave digital. My teacher said even the Moonlight is quite difficult. Another fantastic piece that is easier is Fur Eliese which is trully elegant and I think more to my level than any of his sonatas. Another composer I think rivals Beethoven for sheer beauty in the area of piano solos is Chopin which is really advanced stuff. What do you think of him? I just read a fascinating biography -- Chopin in Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie:
        It's interesting because on the "unheard Beethoven" website, they say the Sonatina in F was really supposed to be a sonata but only 2 parts of it were found, and it was published, and I quote, "long after Beethoven's death". I wonder which is true?
        The sonatina in F Anh 5 is of doubtful authenticity. There was also a sonata in F written 1790-2 (WoO50) consisting of 2 movements which was published posthumously.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

so Peter, you are saying there are two sonatinas in F written by Beethoven, one is a sonata and the other is of dubious sources?!

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to a lot of Chopin, what can I say, I am a Beethoven fanatic! Although I have heard Chopin's compositions are very beautiful. I am sure I will get the opportunity to learn something from him in the near future, as my piano lessons progress. On another note, I've tried listening to Mozart, received several cd's as gifts, but I just can't get into it...no comparison whatsoever with Beethoven, in my opinion! Now I don't want to argue with anyone regarding Mozart, this is stricly my personal opinion!!!

Comment

Bump to account for time bug.

Comment

I haven't had the opportunity to listen to a lot of Chopin, what can I say, I am a Beethoven fanatic! Although I have heard Chopin's compositions are very beautiful. I am sure I will get the opportunity to learn something from him in the near future, as my piano lessons progress.B]
              Do give Chopin a try, he is well worth it. His Ballads and Nocturnes among others are absolutely wonderful to listen to. Regarding the Sonatina in G, I learned this piece last year and like to play it as a warm up also. The Sonatina in F in my book the notes say it was 'probably composed when B was quite young, maybe when he was a pupil of Haydn, whose work it somewhat resembles.' First published in 1830.

'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Thanks, Joy. Any one piece in particular (by Chopin) that you can recommend for learning on the piano, that wouldn't be too difficult? I've appreciated your input before (that Beethoven book I bought and still use, although I got my hands on the complete Sonatina in G and play that version instead of the book's) :-)

Comment

Any one piece in particular (by Chopin) that you can recommend for learning on the piano, that wouldn't be too difficult?
                  Certainly not the ballades - they are very advanced. How about the A major Prelude? It is short, very straight forward and delightful!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks, Joy. Any one piece in particular (by Chopin) that you can recommend for learning on the piano, that wouldn't be too difficult? I've appreciated your input before (that Beethoven book I bought and still use, although I got my hands on the complete Sonatina in G and play that version instead of the book's) :-)
                    Last year I learned the Prelude Opus 28 No. 4. Very nice however I do have some problems with the timing of the piece. To me it's little tricky. Also Deux Nocturnes Opus 55 is nice. I've tried my hand at that. Just the andante. For pure listening pleasure try the Etude in G Flat Opus 10 No. 5; Polonaise in A Major Opus 40 No. 1; Waltz in C Sharp Minor Opus 62 No. 2, I could go on. As a matter of fact there's a new CD out that I heard part of on the radio and I'm going to add it to my Chopin CD collection, 'Murray Perahia; Chopin Etudes, Opus 10, Opus 25'.
                    Great stuff and excellent playing.

Joy

Comment

I think Chopin is a lot of fun to play. During my years of piano lessons, I played the "Minute" waltz and the Nocturne in Eb - two very famous pieces that everyone loves to hear. Even though they were not my favorite works, it was just a lot fun to play them. I played several other Chopin works outside of my lessons because they were so enjoyable to play. Another fun composer - Joplin. There's nothing like playing a little Entertainer or Maple Leaf Rag when you just have minute to mess around on the piano.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited October 02, 2002).]

Comment

oh my gosh, guys, thanks so much for all the input! I can't wait to go to the music store with my list now! Is my piano teacher going to be surprised when I pull one of these out for my next piece to learn!!!

:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                          I think Chopin is a lot of fun to play. During my years of piano lessons, I played the "Minute" waltz and the Nocturne in Eb - two very famous pieces that everyone loves to hear. Even though they were not my favorite works, it was just a lot fun to play them. I played several other Chopin works outside of my lessons because they were so enjoyable to play. Another fun composer - Joplin. There's nothing like playing a little Entertainer or Maple Leaf Rag when you just have minute to mess around on the piano.

I must confess that I've never been much of a Chopin fan until I tried the Mazurkas at the piano. They are simply fun, as you mention.

Comment

Do you play the Minute Waltz in a minute? My rendition on my CD takes 1 minute 49 sec.
                            Also I too like to play The Entertainer. Such a fun piece to ramble off on the piano. Good exercise for the fingers too!

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                              Do you play the Minute Waltz in a minute?
                              No I definitely don't play it in a minute. But I tell all the ladies, "For you my darling, I play the 'Minute Waltz' in thirty seconds."

Also I too like to play The Entertainer. Such a fun piece to ramble off on the piano. Good exercise for the fingers too!
                              I'm not sure how good an exercise it is for the fingers, but you sure get some practice with left hand jumps. In fact, that's the common thread in all those pieces I mentioned. Guess you can tell what kind of pieces I consider "fun"

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited October 03, 2002).]

Comment

I'm not sure how good an exercise it is for the fingers, but you sure get some practice with left hand jumps. In fact, that's the common thread in all those pieces I mentioned. Guess you can tell what kind of pieces I consider "fun"

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited October 03, 2002).]
                                If you play the Minute Waltz in 30 sec. for your lady friends you should play it twice!
                                I know what you mean with the left hand jumps for The Entertainer, lots of them! It's very fun to play. Sometimes if I'm tired of practicing the slower stuff I play The Entertainer, that wakes me up! I do like The Maple Leaf Rag also but I don't play it, like to listen to it though!

Joy

Comment

Working...
                                X