First performance of the Ninth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First performance of the Ninth.

Hi guys, first post here. I am looking for info on the first performance of the Ninth. Where and when? Is the concert hall still in existence? I heard a story about Beethoven having to be turned to see the applause afterwards. Was he onstage at during the performance? Can anybody give me the story or turn me to some reading material that has detailed info? Thanks for any help.

For financial and musical reasons Beethoven was reluctant that the 9th should receive its premier in Vienna at all and he was contemplating Berlin. He was however persuaded to let the concert take place in Vienna. Originally Beethoven had wanted to use the Grosser Redoutensaal on 7th or 8th April, and this was the venue for the 2nd performance on 23rd may.

The momentous event occurred on 7th May 1824 in the Karntnerthor theater in Vienna, which I think no longer exists. The performance was officially conducted by Beethoven, but the real conductor who the musicians followed was Michael Umlauf with Ignaz Schuppanzigh as leader. In addition to the 9th, the overture to the Consecration of the house and 3 items from the Missa Solemnis were also performed. Musically it was a great success and Beethoven had to be tapped on the shoulder in order to turn around to ackowledge the applause. Financially however it was a disaster.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The work was dedicated to King Friedrich Wilheim III of Prussia. He had his back to the audience during the performance and Caroline Unger (one of the soloist) had the idea of turning him around so he could see the audience's applause at the end. You might want to read 'Beethoven' by Denis Matthews. He has a lot of information on the 9th and his choral music. Also try your library. I know there are more books out that are specifically about his 9 Symphonies.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
      X