Fantasia on The Ruins of Athens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasia on The Ruins of Athens

Music as it is represented in literature had always interested me. I am currently reading works by Eudora Welty and in "June Recital," a short story contained in the collection Golden Apples, Welty refers to several composers but gives titles only to works by Beethoven. One piece in particular, "Fantasia on The Ruins of Athens" I am haveing a difficult time learning more about -- other than "The Ruins of Athens" is incidental music composed in 1811. Does any one have experience playing this piece? Or does anyone know what direction I should be looking in?

Originally posted by nankoj:
    Music as it is represented in literature had always interested me. I am currently reading works by Eudora Welty and in "June Recital," a short story contained in the collection Golden Apples, Welty refers to several composers but gives titles only to works by Beethoven. One piece in particular, "Fantasia on The Ruins of Athens" I am haveing a difficult time learning more about -- other than "The Ruins of Athens" is incidental music composed in 1811. Does any one have experience playing this piece? Or does anyone know what direction I should be looking in?
    Well, Beethoven himself never wrote such a fantasia. He did a set of piano variations on a theme he later used in the 'Ruins..' music, but this is all.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
      Well, Beethoven himself never wrote such a fantasia. He did a set of piano variations on a theme he later used in the 'Ruins..' music, but this is all.

The Fantasia on the Ruins of Athens is based on Beethoven, but not by Beethoven.
      It is a fantasy for piano and orchestra by Franz Liszt written between 1848 and 1852 (in Searle's catalogue of Liszt's works (=S.) S.122).
      Liszt made versions for piano (S.389) and 2 pianos (S.649) as well.

Another work of Liszt's, based particularly on the Turkish march, is the Capriccio S.388.

Btw: Die Ruinen von Athen exists in a "modern" version with new texts and added material based on Beethovenian melodies by Richard Strauss (1924, AV.190) as well.

Comment

I have come to love the The Ruins of Athens.

I find myself listening to the Duet often, track 3. It is very powerful and serious. When the soprano first comes in it sounds like the opposite of what the male was singing yet on the same theme, kind of. Then they both start singing together after that and it is like while they first disagreed now they are agreeing and are on the same page.

Also, like tracks 6&7 a lot. Glorious music, I think!

Now I just need to find the lyrics!
        Last edited by Preston; 11-23-2009, 08:37 PM.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
        X