Beethoven Week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven Week!

The classical music station here has had a superb week of Beethoven. Everything from the Piano Trio Opus 1 No.1, Piano Concertos 4 & 5, the Violin Concerto and last night to culminate the week the London Philharmonic with conductor Gilbert Levine performed the 9th Symphony 'Ode to Joy' performed at Krakow, Poland when that city was proclaimed 'the cultural capital of the world' in 2000. A fabulous recording.

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Over the Easter holidays I tuned-in to our classic stations (Classic FM and BBC Radio 3) many times over 10 days in the hope of hearing a little beethoven or Handel, but only one time was I successfull - all they play is Romantic stuff day after day, track after track!!!!!!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Over the Easter holidays I tuned-in to our classic stations (Classic FM and BBC Radio 3) many times over 10 days in the hope of hearing a little beethoven or Handel, but only one time was I successfull - all they play is Romantic stuff day after day, track after track!!!!!!

If you could find KBYU FM you might get a little more Baroque. Seems that all I hear in the morning and evenings (while on the road) are either Baroque pieces or Strauss Waltzes. Occasionally they play some of the Romantic works, but it seems I hear mostly Italian Baroque.

Comment

Maybe you should click on to K-Baq FM here in Phoenix. They play a variety of classics. Here, over Easter, they played Handel's Messiah in it's entirety! Believe it or not. I had not heard this played in it''s entirety in 20 yrs. on radio! It was a treat!! They do play a lot of Beethoven. He seems to be very popular here.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

Maybe you should click on to K-Baq FM here in Phoenix. They play a variety of classics. Here, over Easter, they played Handel's Messiah in it's entirety! Believe it or not. I had not heard this played in it''s entirety in 20 yrs. on radio! It was a treat!! They do play a lot of Beethoven. He seems to be very popular here.
          There was a time when you could hear a complete Handel oratorio or Beethoven sonata on regular non-cable TV. Such things would not be dreamed of now, the TV Producers would laugh in your face!! Of course if you want a Messiah CD I can always recommend one Joy!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
            If you could find KBYU FM you might get a little more Baroque. Seems that all I hear in the morning and evenings (while on the road) are either Baroque pieces or Strauss Waltzes. Occasionally they play some of the Romantic works, but it seems I hear mostly Italian Baroque.
            I've got a 12+ channel short-wave radio that picks up nothing!! I'm not really a radio fan, I've got all the music I want to hear at home - I only listen to the radio when I am on holiday or away from home. But the balance of music on the UK CM stations is all wrong, they just play junk most of the time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-20-2002).]

Comment

There was a time when you could hear a complete Handel oratorio or Beethoven sonata on regular non-cable TV. Such things would not be dreamed of now, the TV Producers would laugh in your face!! Of course if you want a Messiah CD I can always recommend one Joy!

You need to have a listen to our PBS station
              on non-cable TV. Once a week (at least) they show a performance at some classical concert around the country where they perform entire sonatas or operas, etc.
              Please do recommend a Messiah's recording!

Joy

Comment

I've got a 12+ channel short-wave radio that picks up nothing!! I'm not really a radio fan, I've got all the music I want to hear at home - I only listen to the radio when I am on holiday or away from home. But the balance of music on the UK CM stations is all wrong, they just play junk most of the time.
                I used to listen to the radio all the time (the classical station) but my own accumulation of discs keeps me more than occupied. What do you think of Sir Colin Davis' version of Messiah? (I refer to a recording that's at least 20 years old and if I am not mistaken may have been done on period instruments--as I recall the choir and orchestra make up about 80 people all together.) I was much impressed with what he had done for the music in this recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

You need to have a listen to our PBS station
                  on non-cable TV. Once a week (at least) they show a performance at some classical concert around the country where they perform entire sonatas or operas, etc.
                  Please do recommend a Messiah's recording!

Joy[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, Trevor Pinnock with the English Concert on Archiv is a good effort. It's the one I play. Very good sound indeed.

------------------

Comment

I used to listen to the radio all the time (the classical station) but my own accumulation of discs keeps me more than occupied. What do you think of Sir Colin Davis' version of Messiah?...
                    Haven't heard this one I'm afraid. It would have to be on period instruments by default for me. Non authentic Baroque is virtually an insult to the listener ears!

------------------

Comment

Haven't heard this one I'm afraid. It would have to be on period instruments by default for me. Non authentic Baroque is virtually an insult to the listener ears!
                      I will get you more info on this recording--it's buried among my lp archive. However, while I do not think that original (period) instruments are used I do think that the interpretation warrants a good listen. The phrasing and continuanty of the lines was very impressive to me at the time.

Comment

I will get you more info on this recording--it's buried among my lp archive. However, while I do not think that original (period) instruments are used I do think that the interpretation warrants a good listen. The phrasing and continuanty of the lines was very impressive to me at the time.
                        Of course these other factors you mention are also important, together with use of vibrato (or preferably the lack of use). But you can't beat the velvety string textures and frightening timpani and brass of the old instruments.

------------------

Comment

Well, Trevor Pinnock with the English Concert on Archiv is a good effort. It's the one I play. Very good sound indeed.

Thanks Rod.

Comment

That's cool! I heard a pretty rare overture by beethoven last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Immortal Beloved~:
                              That's cool! I heard a pretty rare overture by beethoven last year.

Be assured, listening to Romantic stuff day after day, track after track is anything but cool IB!!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X