Rare Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Page

The Heroic Dance from the 'Creatures of Prometheus' is now available to members on the rare page.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Get this one on to your hard-drives NOW! Super electric recording by Bruggen and the Orch of 18th Century. Easily the best version of Creatures.. on disk. I would say one of the best Beethoven recordings currently available.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Indeed, it is quite good. A very satisfying lack of intonation problems, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        Indeed, it is quite good. A very satisfying lack of intonation problems, too.
        Quite good? I presume you've heard better? My first recording of this piece was by the Orpheus Chamber Orch. on DG - quite awful in every respect, including intonation. Mackerras and the SCO is a pretty good effort, but get Bruggens if you can.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-15-2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          The Heroic Dance from the 'Creatures of Prometheus' is now available to members on the rare page.
          www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

What do you think of this piece Peter?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Quite good? I presume you've heard better?
            I haven't heard too many recordings of this piece one way or the other (not the whole thing, anyway). As is always the problem, there are simply too many pieces to listen to and find a favorite recording - even if I limited myself to just Beethoven (which I certainly wouldn't). But that's much better than there being too few!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              I haven't heard too many recordings of this piece one way or the other (not the whole thing, anyway). As is always the problem, there are simply too many pieces to listen to and find a favorite recording - even if I limited myself to just Beethoven (which I certainly wouldn't). But that's much better than there being too few!
              You don't have to worry about selection with this piece Chris. I've done all the costly trial and error work for you. Bruggen's is the best interpretation with the best orchestra.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-16-2002).]

Comment

What do you think of this piece Peter?

For some reason this took an age downloading (roll on broadband at a reasonable price!), but I perservered and the wait was well worthwhile - this is a fine, lively and dramatic interpretation of this much neglected music. I have the complete Prometheus music with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, but I prefer this version. It would be interesting to hear some of the other numbers from this such as no.5 with Harp and no.14 with Basset-Horn.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

For some reason this took an age downloading (roll on broadband at a reasonable price!), but I perservered and the wait was well worthwhile - this is a fine, lively and dramatic interpretation of this much neglected music. I have the complete Prometheus music with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, but I prefer this version. It would be interesting to hear some of the other numbers from this such as no.5 with Harp and no.14 with Basset-Horn.

I mention my experience with the OCO above. I'd say it was my first B purchase that I didn't like in any way. Bruggen's disk almost sounds like a different composition! Some of the harmonic textures are rather strange in op43, they only work with a 'period' performance in my opinion. B's unsurpassed awareness of instrument tone makes such considerations all-important.

------------------

Comment

...It would be interesting to hear some of the other numbers from this such as no.5 with Harp and no.14 with Basset-Horn.

Then may I direct the honourable gentlemen to the nearest appropriate CD store?

------------------

Comment

Then may I direct the honourable gentlemen to the nearest appropriate CD store?

There is indeed a very good Classical shop in Brighton, however I'm not in a position to completely restock my Beethoven collection every week! I merely mentioned those two tracks as they present unusual orchestration and it would be interesting to hear an original basset-horn - is the harp authentic in this recording?

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

There is indeed a very good Classical shop in Brighton, however I'm not in a position to completely restock my Beethoven collection every week!
                        Then you must make sacrifices my friend! Get them while you can, before they are deleted and it's too late. If the kids go without shoes for a few weeks...well, it will teach them humility!

I merely mentioned those two tracks as they present unusual orchestration and it would be interesting to hear an original basset-horn - is the harp authentic in this recording?

The Orch of the 18thC is not a 'half and half' affair. Everything is original or a copy of an original. I'll think about it...

------------------

Comment

The Orch of the 18thC is not a 'half and half' affair. Everything is original or a copy of an original. I'll think about it...

Now you're talking!

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Maybe these could be considered for future pieces on the rare page. I would be interested in hearing No. 5 Harp myself.

Joy
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                              Maybe these could be considered for future pieces on the rare page. I would be interested in hearing No. 5 Harp myself.

Joy
                              Good idea. Your and Peter's patience will be tested once again. Or you could buy the disk tomorrow!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X