5th Piano Concerto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th Piano Concerto

This morning I was awakened to a recording of the 5th Piano Concerto, performed by Bernstein/Serkin (1962). All I heard was the final movement, but never before have I heard a recording with more energy and power. When it concluded I was sitting upright and wide awake. I located the recording in the LVB Store (Great Performances is the title of the series) and wondered if anyone else is familiar with this recording. BTW, what is the currency format of the prices in the store? I am inclined to order this cd.

I have this CD (BERNSTEIN, SERKIN New York Philharmonic 1962). I really love it... I bought it very cheap (I am living in Germany) ten years ago and really I think it is one of the best, near to the one of Edwin FISCHER and Fürtwaengler (I know there will be people to say it is awful, anyway it is a matter of taste !). Buy it at any price, who cannot miss the other mouvements of this recording : they are also fantastic !
    Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
      (I know there will be people to say it is awful, anyway it is a matter of taste !). Buy it at any price, who cannot miss the other mouvements of this recording : they are also fantastic ![/B]
      I adgree. I love to listen to the music. I want to hear all of it not just bits and pieces. I think that thats true for everone.

-Kitsune

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
        BTW, what is the currency format of the prices in the store? I am inclined to order this cd.
        US Dollars.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune:
          I adgree. I love to listen to the music. I want to hear all of it not just bits and pieces. I think that thats true for everone.

I agree also, I'd never recommend buying a 'greatest hits' classical CD, you soon find the music always works better in its natural context (that is with all the movements together). Of course with some composers even one movement is one movement too much!

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            I agree also, I'd never recommend buying a 'greatest hits' classical CD, you soon find the music always works better in its natural context (that is with all the movements together). Of course with some composers even one movement is one movement too much!
            Agreed, also. I find it terribly disappointing to hear a fragment of the work, then not the rest of it. (On the local classical radio station, of all things, they played the 4th Movement of the 6th Symphony by itself. YIKES!)

The CD discussed in this thread is part of a series of Great Performances (the entire work is presented--not just isolated movements). I am anxious to buy the cd to hear the other two movements--it so happened that I awakened at the beginning of the final movement. Exhilarating experience, too!

Comment

Of course with some composers even one movement is one movement too much!

Better watch what words are typed here Rod, lol! But seriously, as CONSTRUCRIVE criticism goes, what one movement is too much for you? And what do you think of Rachmanninovs Piano concertos'? I think that i have worn out the C.D! But I agree that music always does come best in the context that it was designed for.

I remember when I was forst starting to listen to classical music, and my grandmother brought me a cheap compolation C.D. And althogh the thought was nice, after gaining a wider scope for music shortly after, I relised that the beauty of Debussys' "Afternoon of the faun" could not be admired when followed shortly after with the massive intro of the Beethoven, Symphony no. 5!

However, there are certain C.D's under the Phillips titles that seem to malgomate all kinds of music together that has the same theme. IE "Baroque for babies" a small selection of Baroquoe music pregnant mother are ment to listen to, "Mozart for Mornings" this is very upbeat Mozart that presumably helps you on a Monday morning and toerhs like "Brhams for Bed" gentle works that sooth you to sleep.

Now, these works are all in a theme, but sometimes, there are others with VARIOUS composers, and sometimes, it is quite um...disjointing to hear other works from other time periods. IE if I am listening to a romantic Piano concerto, the last thing I want to hear is a harpsichord and a flute on a strict sonata! There is a fine line, and I will write some more once, I have access to my C.Ds again!

Oboe_16

------------------
              A consistency of excellence can only be achieved by a few gifted musicians!
              A consistency of excellence can only be achieved by a few gifted musicians!

Comment

Originally posted by oboe_16:
                Better watch what words are typed here Rod, lol! But seriously, as CONSTRUCRIVE criticism goes, what one movement is too much for you? And what do you think of Rachmanninovs Piano concertos'? I think that i have worn out the C.D! But I agree that music always does come best in the context that it was designed for.
                You have obviously not been keeping up with the Forum discussions lately. Otherwise you would have read my reference to 'Rach 3' which I recently heard on the radio!! The 'one movement is too much' scenario applies especially to 'Rach' in my humble but always correct opinion.

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

You have obviously not been keeping up with the Forum discussions lately. Otherwise you would have read my reference to 'Rach 3' which I recently heard on the radio!! The 'one movement is too much' scenario applies especially to 'Rach' in my humble but always correct opinion.
                  Personally, I LOVE the Rach 3concerto. Though, I don't have too many non-B concerti recordings, so I'm not too well versed in the genre. After B though, it is difficult to be greatly impressed.

(I have some late Mozart, but on modern instruments--Ashkenazy. I also have the St. Saens concerti, on the recommendation of someone when I wanted to find "something in the vein of LvB #4." I haven't given it too much attention.)

The R3 playing seems, to this non-pianist, like it must be quite demanding, and I particularly like the mmt1 cadenza and the passage I like to call the 'hummingbird' about 8:00 into mmt2, where he flutters around for a while on the high keys. They're what I find to be quite passionate. (I once observed a hummingbird feeding just outside my window while listening to this passage, hence the connotation.)

But yes, the Rach 3 is no LvB.

Comment

For SORRANO : there is also a very good 3d Beethoven's concerto Opus 37 and the Choral Fantasy by BERNSTEIN and SERKIN (CD UNIVERSE UN029 (New York Philharmonic - Westminster Chor...
                    Claudie

Comment

For SORRANO : there is also a very good 3d Beethoven's concerto Opus 37 and the Choral Fantasy by BERNSTEIN and SERKIN (CD UNIVERSE UN029 (New York Philharmonic - Westminster Chor...
                      Many years ago I bought a cassette (Quintessence) with the 3rd concerto, Claudio Arrau and Alceo Galliera with the Philharmonia Orchestra, that I liked very much at the time. (I Haven't listened to it for a long time.) Thanks for your recommendation--I will pick that one up, as well.

Comment

If you liked ARRAU in the 3d, don'r miss the n° 1 ! There is a very cheap reedition with the 1st concerto and the triple concerto (New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Eliahu Inbal... the cadenza is fantastic too) The triple concert is played by Array, Szeryng and James Starker -who does not play very tuned... but...one cannot have everything). I have bought this CD 6.50 Euros (Philips Classics, Eloquence, 464-316-2
                        Recording 1971).
                        Claudie

Comment

If you liked ARRAU in the 3d, don'r miss the n° 1 ! There is a very cheap reedition with the 1st concerto and the triple concerto (New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Eliahu Inbal... the cadenza is fantastic too) The triple concert is played by Array, Szeryng and James Starker -who does not play very tuned... but...one cannot have everything). I have bought this CD 6.50 Euros (Philips Classics, Eloquence, 464-316-2
                          Recording 1971).
                          Thanks for the tip! I will have to try that, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X