Beethoven's 7th symphony - Finale theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's 7th symphony - Finale theme

Yesterday I heard an interesting lecture, refering to the resemblance of the Finale of the 7th and the ending of his Irish song Woo 154,8, from the same time as the composition of the 7th. I think it's striking. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpeIS1UE4N0 at 1:50 :-)

Gerd
    Last edited by gprengel; 01-17-2021, 12:53 PM.

I remember this being pointed out to me about 50 years ago by a friend when I was just getting into Beethoven's music.

He told me that the 7th symphony was sometimes referred to as the "Irish" symphony because the last movement was based on the folk-song "Norah Creina". The lyrics have been altered in Beethoven's arrangement which I didn't hear until about 20 years later.

I confess I can hear only a slight similarity but that's just me. I did hear a performance by the famous Irish folk group, the Chieftains, where the resemblance did stand out a bit more. I can't seem to find it on YouTube however.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I remember this being pointed out to me about 50 years ago by a friend when I was just getting into Beethoven's music.

He told me that the 7th symphony was sometimes referred to as the "Irish" symphony because the last movement was based on the folk-song "Norah Creina". The lyrics have been altered in Beethoven's arrangement which I didn't hear until about 20 years later.

I confess I can hear only a slight similarity but that's just me. I did hear a performance by the famous Irish folk group, the Chieftains, where the resemblance did stand out a bit more. I can't seem to find it on YouTube however.
      I agree; the similarity is very slight.
      Zevy

Comment

Working...
      X