Barenboim on Beethoven 1970

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barenboim on Beethoven 1970

Next Saturday, (19th December) all of Barenboim's 1970 series is being broadcast on the Sky channel More4. This was recorded in celebration of Beethoven's bicentenary and it consists of 13 programmes in which he discusses and plays some of the piano sonatas as well as many other works. This marathon starts at 8.20pm and goes on until 3.30 in the morning!

I remember watching nearly all of these broadcasts each week during 1970. I knew very few of the sonatas back then (except the usual suspects) and - in the days before video recorders - I held my Grundig microphone up to the telly and tried to record as much as I could.
    I first heard the "Appassionata" in this fashion and rushed out to buy the record the following day.

The video quality of these broadcasts may not be very good but I'm sure the audio will be quite acceptable.

Anyway, for those who have access - plus the time and the stamina, it's Sky Channel "More4" next Saturday.

Last edited by Michael; 12-15-2020, 03:42 PM.

How would one in the United States access this program on Sky channel? I have a friend who is interested.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
      How would one in the United States access this program on Sky channel? I have a friend who is interested.
      I honestly don't know, Harvey. It's on "More4 Sky" UK and I can get it in Ireland but I'm not sure if its available in the USA.
      Could your friend enquire from anyone with Sky?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I honestly don't know, Harvey. It's on "More4 Sky" UK and I can get it in Ireland but I'm not sure if its available in the USA.
        Could your friend enquire from anyone with Sky?
        I passed that along to her. That's all we can do, but she has a number of Beethoven 250th streaming links and other Beethoven sites she is visiting. I tried to get her to connect up here but she is wary of too many accounts and passwords so....

FYI, someone on another site posted this a few hours ago:

The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Centre is currently streaming for free a long program of Beethoven music with some talks in between, if anyone's interested.

One of the Op 9 Trios has just finished, Op 20 just starting.
        Also, Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies
        Many videos with discussions on Beethoven
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuu...S48oBZA/videos
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Ah, my friend has replied,

I looked into Sky and like people in the US who want to get some stations without paying another $20 a month (I don't have cable but once did) - MORE4 and BBC4 are two that people want.

Enjoying the LIncoln, which will be up for a while

Comment

Ah well, there should be no shortage of Beethoven stuff for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Ah well, there should be no shortage of Beethoven stuff for a while!
              One bright spot on the otherwise dark year of 2020.

Comment

There is also 'the lost tapes' on Channel 4 on 19 Dec at 18:20.

This cherry picks some key moments from the series as well as unseen footage.

This should be available on the C4 catch up facility.
                Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Working...
                X