Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A movement from one of Mozart's piano concerti.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A movement from one of Mozart's piano concerti.

This is how a movement from a well known piano concerto by Mozart begins:

Could someone be so kind as telling me which one?

It's the final movement of the final concerto, K 595 in B-flat - 3rd movement, Allegro.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10U8pwpfh8[/YOUTUBE]

This very charming theme was also used in the song "Sehnsucht nach dem Frühling", K 596.

Comment

Thanks, it's delicious (better said the movement is delicious)!

Comment

Odd that Enrique's score is in the wrong key (Eb) should be Bb!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I don't have absolute ear/memory (or whatever the name is). I wonder why many people in our forum consistently refer to concerts, symphonies, quartets etc by catalog numbers. Example, for me Mozart's last piano concerto is the concerto #27 and not the concerto K.some_number. It's much easier the former way, I think.
          Last edited by Enrique; 03-18-2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Well, you never know how they may be numbered. There may be different traditions for numbering them, a lost work may be discovered, etc. Catalog numbers provide a less ambiguous way to refer to works.

Comment

I see. For instance Dvorak's 9th symphony once was symphony #5. Still, I adhere to these numbers.

Comment

If memory serves me right, Schubert's 9th Symphony might have been numbered as his 7th at one time.

Comment

And what about Mozart's 37th symphony. I doesn't even exist. Although this fact, actually, does not create ambiguity.
                  Last edited by Enrique; 03-19-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                    And what about Mozart's 37th symphony. I doesn't even exist. Although this fact, actually, does not create ambiguity.
                    The complete symphony was for a long time believed to be a work by Mozart, but is now known to have actually been mostly written by Michael Haydn, being his Symphony No. 25 in G major. The true authorship was discovered by Lothar Perger in 1907 - Mozart's added introduction led to the misattribution of the entire symphony being his original work. Why I wonder have the succeeding symphonies 38-41 not been re-numbered long ago?
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think that's because that would confuse many people (including me), an entire one or two generations. Take the average concert goer. I once tried to get informed about that number 37, but had, until reading your post, quite forgotten the details. Thanks for the data. So, if I happen to listen to Haydn's #25, for a little time at least I would be hearing Mozart! Though the rest would deserve listening to it too, of course.
                      Last edited by Enrique; 03-19-2020, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X