Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven 250 Events

Beethoven: The Man Revealed with John Suchet - Classic FM

On Saturday nights from 9pm to 10pm, John Suchet presents ‘Beethoven – The Man Revealed’, a year-long series about Beethoven’s life, celebrating 250 years since the great composer’s birth.

Throughout the landmark 52-week series, John will reveal the dramas, loves, conflicts and successes of the musical genius, offering listeners an unprecedented insight into the man behind the music.
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Tonight (Wed 01 Jan) Front Row BBC Radio 4 19:15

A celebration of LvB, marking the composer's 250th birthday with pianist Stephen Hough, poet Ruth Padel, Laura Tunbridge and Sir Simon Rattle.
    Fidelio

Comment

Here in Vienna plenty is planned for Beethoven's 250th birthday. I live in Heiligenstadt not far from the Beethoven Heiligenstadt Testament House on Probusgasse. I haven't been there in years so I plan to visit it this spring when the weather is a bit warmer. I heard that since the last time I visited this small museum that it has been renovated and there are some different items on exhibit so I need to check this out.

Here you can check out some of the events planned for Beethoven's 250th in Vienna: http://www.visitingvienna.com/entert...eethoven-2020/
      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Yes, you must go. I was there last year and it has been completely renovated. Each room is dedicated to a time in his life. Spent all day there. Nice bar at the end of the street too. I'll be there again in 26-27 March 2020.
        Fidelio

Comment

My first casualty as a result of the Coronavirus, my trip to Vienna including Fidelio (amongst others) at the the Theater an der Wien. The Austrian federal government has banned all indoor events for 100 or more people until 02 April.
          Fidelio

Comment

I'm sorry to heat that, Fidelio. I was thinking of making some travel plans myself, but now I have no idea what is going to happen with all of this. It's disappointing, but of course we must look after everyone's health first!

Comment

My son has had to cancel his trip to Italy next month. Everything seems so uncertain at the moment.
              🎹

Comment

My wife was supposed to go to Spain next month and that's been cancelled.
                Only a few weeks ago my family were talking of carting me off to Bonn for a few days but that's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.
                My sympathies to Fidelio who's missing "Fidelio".

Comment

I was going to a performance of Mozart's Requiem and Clarinet Concerto next weekend, but that has now been canceled I am supposed to go to a performance of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis in May - I hope that one isn't cancelled too!

Comment

I have booked hotels for Bonn and Cologne in July which fortunately can be easily cancelled without loss of money. Also I haven't yet booked the flights and am reluctant to do so now. I think many Beethoven 2020 events will probably end up being cancelled as this will get much worse before it gets better.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today I was driving and I was listening to a "live" performance of the Philadelphia Orchestra playing Beethoven's Symphonies nos. 5 & 6 that were played by the full orchestra to an EMPTY Verizon Hall. That was spooky! It was actually a very good performance.
                      Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        I have booked hotels for Bonn and Cologne in July which fortunately can be easily cancelled without loss of money. Also I haven't yet booked the flights and am reluctant to do so now. I think many Beethoven 2020 events will probably end up being cancelled as this will get much worse before it gets better.
                        I don't know how the U.K. is dealing with this Corona virus, but here in Austria it's another story. Starting Mon. 16 March here in Austria many shops and companies will be closed and remain so until about the first of April. Only grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, public transportation and a few other needed facilities will remain open. Even restaurants can stay open only until 3pm. Being a Beethoven year in Vienna is a big deal here and I've heard that some concert dates have been rescheduled. I know this virus is bad if not treated but so far it's not as deadly as the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 where almost 20 million people died. They keep telling people on the Austrian news here "not to panic" but in my opinion the more someone says "Don't panic" people are going to panic and make a rush on the grocery stores which has been happening here already. Being on the border with northern Italy (which was once a part of the old Habsburg's Austro-Hungarian monarchy) is what brought this virus to us. I'll be so glad when the "All Clear" comes from the Austrian government so life can get back to normal.
                        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

The impact on classical musicians livelihoods could be immense.
                          https://www.classicfm.com/music-news...act-musicians/
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            The impact on classical musicians livelihoods could be immense.
                            https://www.classicfm.com/music-news...act-musicians/
                            Yes, not to mention people in many other lines of work. This virus will probably bankrupt more people than it kills.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Yes, not to mention people in many other lines of work. This virus will probably bankrupt more people than it kills.
                              Check out this website: https://www.thelocal.at/

As of yesterday the whole country of Austria is pretty much under quarantine. Only grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, hospitals and the Post are allowed to stay opened. Cafes and restaurants were allowed to open but they had to close at 3pm. Now they are to remain closed until further notice. Gatherings of more than 5 people are now banned in Austria. Here the government keeps telling us "Don't Panic" but then they seem to be the ones who are panicking with all of these restrictions they are putting on us.

Today (Tues.) is our regular grocery shopping day and I'm curious to see how empty the shelves might be. A friend of mine here shops at the same big grocery chain (Interspar) and she told me the the one near her has been good in keeping things in stock. Fingers crossed...

Comment

Working...
                              X