X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
    You Englishmen had some musicians, eh?

Comment

Beethoven's F minor string quartet, described by some writer as "the bitter fruit of a barren year". It is indeed bitter but, paradoxically, incredibly beautiful. It was so experimental (even for Beethoven) that he originally intended it to be played only among his musical friends - and not for general consumption.

It is so strange that some music critics consign it to the middle period and others bundle it with the late quartets. It is unique.

I have loved it since I first heard it over forty years ago and for the past few weeks I have been playing through eight different recordings of this work. I never tire of it.
      (But don't mind me. I have a one track mind. )

Last edited by Michael; 05-26-2018, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Beethoven's F minor string quartet, described by some writer as "the bitter fruit of a barren year". It is indeed bitter but, paradoxically, incredibly beautiful. It was so experimental (even for Beethoven) that he originally intended it to be played only among his musical friends - and not for general consumption.

It is so strange that some music critics consign it to the middle period and others bundle it with the late quartets. It is unique.

I have loved it since I first heard it over forty years ago and for the past few weeks I have been playing through eight different recordings of this work. I never tire of it.
        (But don't mind me. I have a one track mind. )

Do you know the Mahler arrangement for string orchestra?
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq--kBw3bSI
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

No - I never heard that before. Thanks, Peter. That will bring my total up to nine!
          The arrangement takes some of the bite out of the original, though, just like the similar arrangement of the Grosse Fugue.

Comment

I'm confused! When I click on the YouTube link that Peter gave it says that this is an arrangement by M. Waterman, not Mahler.
            I also have to ask what "real changes" are made in such an arrangement. OK, I can see that there is a double bass which obviously doubles the cello part (more "piano left hand" octave doublings, I suppose), but really what has the arranger done that is noteworthy? For sure it represents an economic burden: you need to engage a conductor to coordinate the orchestrata !!
            Did the arranger "rewrite" the original four string parts in any way? I would need to check the score to be sure and I don't have the inclination to be honest but if you happen to know I'd be curious to find out. Thanks!
            Last edited by Quijote; 05-27-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
              I'm confused! When I click on the YouTube link that Peter gave it says that this is an arrangement by M. Waterman, not Mahler.
              I also have to ask what "real changes" are made in such an arrangement. OK, I can see that there is a double bass which obviously doubles the cello part (more "piano left hand" octave doublings, I suppose), but really what has the arranger done that is noteworthy? For sure it represents an economic burden: you need to engage a conductor to coordinate the orchestrata !!
              Did the arranger "rewrite" the original four string parts in any way? I would need to check the score to be sure and I don't have the inclination to be honest but if you happens to know I'd be curious to find out. Thanks!
              Don't be confused - this was my mistake as I was aware that Mahler arranged this for string orchestra mostly by doubling some of the cello parts with double basses, so I assumed this was his.

I also like this string orchestra version of Op.131, particularly the opening movement works well I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYGTurA-5bA
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have other questions about such a venture. If I were to write an arrangement of any of Beethoven's string quartets, my first question to myself would be "why?". OK, why not try and arrange it for a 2-piano version, that could work. Or a fully orchestrated version, that would be a challenge! Imagine trying to arrange certain passages for the wind and brass - that would really offer an arranger's vision of the work. I think we should ask Gerd !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                  I have other questions about such a venture. If I were to write an arrangement of any of Beethoven's string quartets, my first question to myself would be "why?". OK, why not try and arrange it for a 2-piano version, that could work. Or a fully orchestrated version, that would be a challenge! Imagine trying to arrange certain passages for the wind and brass - that would really offer an arranger's vision of the work. I think we should ask Gerd !!!
                  Why? Because we want more Beethoven. As we don't have any MORE Beethoven, we adapt the music that we already have.
                  Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    The Double-bass cannot possibly play al of those semiquavers, and in fact, he doesn't. I guess he doubles the cellos on specific important notes.
                    Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                      Why? Because we want more Beethoven. As we don't have any MORE Beethoven, we adapt the music that we already have.
                      You mean we have pizza margharita and you want other versions? Sounds good to me. But no pineapple, please - that is an inauthentic addition to the basic mix.

Comment

Very pretty but short piece.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_qYab6GO2M[/YOUTUBE]
                        🎹

Comment

Megan, an amusing coincidence occurred after I listened to the above song. I switched over to another station and they were playing the end of the second movement of the Pastoral symphony and I heard the nightingale again (along with the quail and the cuckoo!)

Incidentally, a lot of people I know think Beethoven is for the birds but did anyone ever ask him what the nightingale was doing singing in the middle of the day?

Edit: I am not making this up but half an hour later on the radio what came on but Michael Buble singing "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square". Seriously.
                          I'm getting freaked out.

Last edited by Michael; 05-29-2018, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Megan, an amusing coincidence occurred after I listened to the above song. I switched over to another station and they were playing the end of the second movement of the Pastoral symphony and I heard the nightingale again (along with the quail and the cuckoo!)

Incidentally, a lot of people I know think Beethoven is for the birds but did anyone ever ask him what the nightingale was doing singing in the middle of the day?

Edit: I am not making this up but half an hour later on the radio what came on but Michael Buble singing "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square". Seriously.
                            I'm getting freaked out.

I must listen again to Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony

I don't know which station you must have been listening to , to hear the American Michael Buble sing a rather jazzy version of that aforementioned song. How strange. I have never heard of him, he seem like the new Frank Sinatra swooner in town. .

Last edited by Megan; 05-29-2018, 02:10 PM.
                            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                              I must listen again to Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony

I don't know which station you must have been listening to , to hear the American Michael Buble sing a rather jazzy version of that aforementioned song. How strange. I have never heard of him, he seem like the new Frank Sinatra swooner in town. .

He is damn good if you like big band music and also a very amusing character.

(Actually, I'm assuming it was Buble as I didn't hear the presenter. It could have been Harry Connick Jr or Bobby Darin. It wasn't Frank anyway.)

It was on our main Irish radio station before the news at one and it made my third nightingale this morning!
                              I'm afraid to turn on BBC radio in case the next thing is I hear Anne Nightingale.

Last edited by Michael; 05-29-2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
                                Listened to this live performance recording of Beethoven's seventh conducted by Carlos Kleiber. I own the famous DG Kleiber seventh. I think this is at least its equal, maybe better. I especially enjoy the woodwinds throughout.
                                I ordered this CD and I enjoyed listening to it very much. I didn't even mind the vibrato in the oboe! Perhaps he/she was a bit nervous? I do think it surpasses the DG recording, although both are really great. It's a real gem. Thanks for posting!
                                Zevy

Comment

Working...
                                X