Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instead it is the descriptive element, Michael, that didn't help me. The first is glorious if only for the first bars. I well remember I listened to the 6th with all my senses put on the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
      Instead it is the descriptive element, Michael, that didn't help me. The first is glorious if only for the first bars. I well remember I listened to the 6th with all my senses put on the music.
      Maybe you didn't need the descriptive element? Many listeners don't like being told what to listen for.

However, the programme of the sixth symphony was a great help to me (at 21 years of age) and it gave me something with which to connect. I had no previous knowledge of "classical" music and I needed all the assistance I could get.

Now I forget about the "story" and just listen to the glorious tunes, the unbelievable orchestration and the underlying tonal scheme, the last of which I can just about grasp subconsciously, not being a musician.

But Beethoven has a way of getting through to anybody and everybody - however impoverished their musical comprehension.

Comment

I can never let St. Patrick's Day go by without listening to some of Beethoven's Irish folk song settings. I'm listening to WoO 152 right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I can never let St. Patrick's Day go by without listening to some of Beethoven's Irish folk song settings. I'm listening to WoO 152 right now!
          Chris, I wish you would give us a name instead of a number! Is it "The Return from Ulster" - the one with the Fifth Symphony motif in the accompaniment?
          If so, there are two arrangements of this song because the publisher, Thompon was unhappy with Beethoven's original arrangement and asked for another.
          Beethoven - whom we all know was such a kind and easy-going gentleman - actually supplied a second arrangement!!!!!!

I have the two versions but I couldn't tell you which was which.
          Especially today (or yesterday) on which Ireland has beaten England on the Six Nations Rugby!
          It's a major deal on St Patrick's day. Even to someone like me who doesn't know a semiquaver from a converted penalty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1x2muVFDNI
          Last edited by Michael; 03-18-2018, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Chris, I wish you would give us a name instead of a number! Is it "The Return from Ulster" - the one with the Fifth Symphony motif in the accompaniment?
            If so, there are two arrangements of this song because the publisher, Thompon was unhappy with Beethoven's original arrangement and asked for another.
            Beethoven - whom we all know was such a kind and easy-going gentleman - actually supplied a second arrangement!!!!!!
            I was listening to all the songs of WoO 152, but No. 1 is indeed "The Return to Ulster."

I'm not sure I knew about the two arrangements of this song. Are they given different numbers in any catalog? I checked, but I did not find anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              I was listening to all the songs of WoO 152, but No. 1 is indeed "The Return to Ulster."

I'm not sure I knew about the two arrangements of this song. Are they given different numbers in any catalog? I checked, but I did not find anything like that.
              There are two Beethoven arrangements of this particular song - and the differences are listed in some catalogs.. They are not that huge -and I have recordings of the two versions somewhere but at this late hour - 3 am in St Patrick's land - I am not able to access my CD library without waiting the house!
              But it's a beautiful, haunting song - isn't it, Chris. And the Beethoven 5 accompaniment really adds something..................

Get back to me if you're interested in this. Thomson asked Beethoven to supply different arrangements for some of the songs. Amazingly, Beethoven agreed!
              Last edited by Michael; 03-18-2018, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Smetana, The Moldau (form Ma Vlast): This is formidable! Is Dvorak placed above him? I think he is truly great.

Comment

Smetana, The Moldau (form Ma Vlast): This is formidable! Is Dvorak placed above him? I think he is truly great.
                  Enrique, all of the tone poems in this set are well worth the listen. Unfortunately, it seems we mostly hear only the Moldau.

Comment

I have listened to My Country complete, several times, but must confess my preference for The Moldau, Sorrano.

Comment

Gustav Holst: Japanese Suite Op. 33 - there is so much more to Holst than 'The Planets'!!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have listened to My Country complete, several times, but must confess my preference for The Moldau, Sorrano.
                        Quite understandable, Enrique. It's hard to beat that "Moldau Melody". It would be in my "beautiful tunes" top ten. It's so familiar to me from my childhood but I was an adult before I discovered what it was and who composed it.

We shouldn't forget that its composer suffered from deafness and tinnitus - just like that other musician whose name escapes me ...............

Last edited by Michael; 03-25-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I would have never suspected it, Michael. I only knew he is considered the father of check musical nationalism. The vertical structure is masterly too inthe Moldau.

Comment

Poulenc - Stabat Mater.
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt8SvRBpP2U
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mendelssohn - Fantasia in F-sharp minor for piano, op. 28 ("Sonate écossaise")

I heard it on the radio while driving to work this morning, and I had to go back for a second listen!

Comment

Psalm 53 sung in Aramaic

https://www.chonday.com/25879/palaramic5/
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X