This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I agree. I think Haydn is superior in a few other genres, too - piano trios, string quartets, and masses; though Mozart takes it in concertos, solo piano works, and operas (although I think Haydn's operas are excellent and very underrated).
    I wouldn't underrate Haydn's solo piano music - there are some fine sonatas which can stand comparison with the best of Mozart's, not to mention the wonderful double Variations in F minor.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      I wouldn't underrate Haydn's solo piano music - there are some fine sonatas which can stand comparison with the best of Mozart's, not to mention the wonderful double Variations in F minor.
      True, though the best of Mozart's win me over. Or maybe I am biased by hearing well-performed Mozart piano music, because I always felt I never quite manged to capture that "Mozart touch" one needs to make his piano music sound right.

Comment

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BIiCfGQX4[/youtube]
        He composed it in 1773. He was just a lad! By this time the father did not corrected his compositions any longer.
        Last edited by Enrique; 06-30-2018, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          He composed it in 1773. He was just a lad! By this time the father did not corrected his compositions any longer.
          Beethoven may not have been a wunderkind like Wolfgang (he didn't have a Leopold for a father) but he began this at the same age of 17.
          I doubt if Johann van Beethoven had much input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEJHZHDf9Io
          Last edited by Peter; 06-30-2018, 06:09 AM. Reason: To remove unnecessary double youtube posting - looks neater!

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KGKe9PNH2s&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
            Last edited by Megan; 06-30-2018, 06:18 AM.
            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Beethoven may not have been a wunderkind like Wolfgang (he didn't have a Leopold for a father) but he began this at the same age of 17.
              I doubt if Johann van Beethoven had much input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEJHZHDf9Io
              You are right. 1787/89 - 1770 = 17/19. And the first even earlier! Both exhibit the magic blend of Mozart and Beethoven. If only Mozart had not to compose to order having to work with extreme haste to satisfy it's patrons! But perhaps this promptitude was his own way. Now see how much longer time he took, Beethoven, to write the
              First Symphony. That speaks about the difference between a symphony and a concert.
              Last edited by Enrique; 07-01-2018, 01:21 AM.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i2HuSBLtpY&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
                🎹

Comment

Mozart - Divertimento in D major, K. 136

So many wonderful things in these early Mozart works...

Comment

I've said this before but, when it comes to symphonies, I think Haydn is as good as Mozart, if not better.
                    As somebody once said: "Haydn had the misfortune not to die young or to go deaf."
                    For consistent quality of composition he rivals most other composers - even, (dare I say it) our "onlie begetter".
                    I honestly can't believe how anyone can stay awake - besides for his trumpet or cello concertos - for more than 15 seconds of Haydn.
                    Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                      I honestly can't believe how anyone can stay awake - besides for his trumpet or cello concertos - for more than 15 seconds of Haydn.

Comment

Comment

'Man know thyself'

Comment

I hate interrupting this sequence of "eeks!" but without planning it, I listened to Beethoven's 6th, 7th and 8th symphonies today - without a break. Bernstein and the NYSO did the honours.
                            I can't remember doing anything like this for a long time - but it was a beautiful day and I had my headphones on.
                            I even listened to a few bars of the 9th but I decided enough is enough.

Comment

I hate interrupting this sequence of "eeks!" but without planning it, I listened to Beethoven's 6th, 7th and 8th symphonies today - without a break. Bernstein and the NYSO did the honours.
                              I can't remember doing anything like this for a long time - but it was a beautiful day and I had my headphones on.
                              I even listened to a few bars of the 9th but I decided enough is enough.
                              Zevy

Comment

From BBC Radio 3 listening.

Three masqued dances, played on 20 Lutes. by Robert Johnson.

Schubert - Adagio, E♭ major, Notturno, D 897

Mozart - Symphony No. 41, Finale.
                                Last edited by Megan; 07-11-2018, 08:13 AM.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X