All-Day Mozart on Classic FM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-Day Mozart on Classic FM

Today is the 225th anniversary of Mozart's death and Classic FM (UK) are playing nothing but for the whole day.

There is nothing wrong with 24 hours of Mozart but I wonder are anniversaries becoming shorter and more sub-divided? Can we look forward to Mozart's 237th and a half celebrations in a few more years? Followed shortly by his 243rd and three-quarters?

Poor Beethoven has had only one in my lifetime - 1970. DGG re-issued a set of his works in 1977, but his 225th (in 1995) passed without a murmur. With a bit of luck I'll be around for 2020.

Nothing wrong with 24 hours of Mozart? I should have thought 24 hours of anything was too much, especially Classic fm!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

BBC Radio 3 had five days (and nights) of Beethoven back in 2005 and not an anniversary in sight.

Last edited by Michael; 12-06-2016, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Crikey, was it that long ago? Well I certainly didn't listen to 5 days and nights of Beethoven but at least with radio 3 there are no inane adverts! Seriously though these anniversaries are getting silly as you point out, but Beethoven does get two sensible ones soon - 2020 and 2027.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X