Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been listening to Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4 a lot lately. That's one that always calls you back if you haven't listened to it in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
      I always marvel at the first few measures of the Mozart C minor Concerto and the corresponding measures of the Beethoven C minor. If I didn't know beforehand, I would guess that they were switched.
      Yes - there is no doubt that Beethoven's concerto was inspired by Mozart. Strangely, the opening of the Mozart seems to me more eccentric (rhythm-wise) and more "Beethovenian" than the later work.
      (If that makes any sense).
      Also, the opening of the first movement of Beethoven's C minor piano sonata (No. 5) also owes a debt to the earlier composer and is even more "irregular" than Mozart's.

Last edited by Michael; 05-12-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        I wonder if he would have entitled it, "Earth: The Bringer of Insanity"?

(We should ask Chris to provide a "like" button).

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFN9CY33VHw

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFN9CY33VHw[/youtube]

German conductor Otto Klemperer was born on this day in 1885 – 131 years ago | Dying in 1973, Maestro Klemperer is remembered as one of the pre-eminent conductors of the 20th Century
          Last edited by Megan; 05-16-2016, 04:49 PM.
          🎹

Comment

Not Beethoven, not even classical music!

Oh have I defected?! I saw a documentary on Billy Fury last week, who I was crazy about when I was about 15 (I was a 1980s teenager but in the wrong era..). I think I had good taste- I forgot how good a singer he was! ( And let's face it ladies, he was very good looking.. )

I can't stop listening to this- I Will- my ultimate favourite of his.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8qTDqso5PQ[/YOUTUBE]

Not classical music I know- but he did record it with an orchestra!

And yes I am still listening to Beethoven daily too.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Holst still should have included Earth.

That would have been interesting..

I like Jupiter and Neptune the best of this suite. In fact I am painting a series of miniature abstracts inspired by The Planets at the moment.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                I wonder if he would have entitled it, "Earth: The Bringer of Insanity"?
                I could laugh if that wasn't sadly an apt title.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                  Oh have I defected?! I saw a documentary on Billy Fury last week, who I was crazy about when I was about 15 (I was a 1980s teenager but in the wrong era..). I think I had good taste- I forgot how good a singer he was! ( And let's face it ladies, he was very good looking.. )

I made a point of watching that documentary too. Billy was my best friend's favourite singer back in the early 60s.(Pre-Beatles and pre-Beethoven!)
                  I thought he was okay at the time but over the years I've come to really enjoy his performances, which usually had a large orchestra behind him. He brings back the summers of 1961 and 62 much more vividly than my own favourites at the time (Elvis, Del Shannon etc.).
                  He hadn't the greatest voice in the world but the songs were brilliant.
                  It was sad he died so young.

Comment

I like Jupiter and Neptune the best of this suite. In fact I am painting a series of miniature abstracts inspired by The Planets at the moment.
                    I used to hate "Saturn - the Bringer of Old Age" but now I rather like it. Is it irony or decrepitude?

Comment

I used to hate "Saturn - the Bringer of Old Age" but now I rather like it. Is it irony or decrepitude?
                      LOL- Saturn is coming for me too Michael!
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I made a point of watching that documentary too. Billy was my best friend's favourite singer back in the early 60s.(Pre-Beatles and pre-Beethoven!)
                        I thought he was okay at the time but over the years I've come to really enjoy his performances, which usually had a large orchestra behind him. He brings back the summers of 1961 and 62 much more vividly than my own favourites at the time (Elvis, Del Shannon etc.).
                        He hadn't the greatest voice in the world but the songs were brilliant.
                        It was sad he died so young.
                        Summers of 1961 and 1962 eh? I wasn't even a twinkle then.
                        The songs were good and The Sound of Fury is a classic album (I ordered it from ebay last night seeing as it was under £3 including p&p).

I think he is underrated- his voice was very good- he never hit a wrong note in those records- many a time they were recorded in one take, and of course they never had all those editing auto tune things then.

If you watch the video of Play it Cool on you tube, you'll see that his charisma shines brightly and his voice is every bit as good as Elvis's. The same can't be said for his fellow contemporary Brit rock n roll singers ( not naming any names)- Billy had that oomph that they didn't quite have.

Yes, very tragic that rheumatic fever took his life so early.
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Venerable instrument!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz9j4IWiz3U[/YOUTUBE]
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Fazil Say

I've seen him play this live- it is really good!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0sgmdTlYVA[/YOUTUBE]
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

The songs were good and The Sound of Fury is a classic album (I ordered it from ebay last night seeing as it was under £3 including p&p).

Just saw it on Amazon for £1.39! I didn't think a CD version would be so easily available. Thanks for the tip.

(Normal Beethoven business will be resumed shortly.)

Comment

Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 1 in C major (played by Martha Argerich) on the radio on the way to work this morning. Not a bad way to start the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X