Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven - his earlier education?

Hello everyone!
    As a Beethoven admirer and student, I am doing a biography on him for a music class I take at college.
    I have read a few books and some short articles on him in composer books, but I do not find a lot of information about his elementary education or what an education for his younger years might have been like.
    Does anyone have any thoughts or facts about his earlier education from 5 yrs of age to say maybe 15?
    My paper is finished except for education, which as part of the paper, I have to make some comment on or write the facts.

Please advise
    Tanya

Beethoven attended elementary school at 1091 Neugasse (Bonn), he then went to the school attached to Bonn cathedral and subsequently to a school in the Bongasse. I would imagine that Greek and latin would have formed part of this education. We know from later years that Beethoven's maths wasn't up to much - strange for a musician!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Beethoven attended elementary school at 1091 Neugasse (Bonn), he then went to the school attached to Bonn cathedral and subsequently to a school in the Bongasse. I would imagine that Greek and latin would have formed part of this education. We know from later years that Beethoven's maths wasn't up to much - strange for a musician!

wow your pretty good at this.

Comment

Well, looking up some info is no big deal - I'm still waiting for Peter to upload some recordings of himself playing Beethoven piano pieces. But he'll never do it, because Rod would tear the performances apart, and Peter would never hear the end of it

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
          Well, looking up some info is no big deal - I'm still waiting for Peter to upload some recordings of himself playing Beethoven piano pieces. But he'll never do it, because Rod would tear the performances apart, and Peter would never hear the end of it
          Of course Rod would tear it to pieces for simply being played on a PF, and I'm not going down that road again! As it is I don't have any decent recording equipment.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 03-06-2002).]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Of course Rod would tear it to pieces for simply being played on a PF, and I'm not going down that road again! As it is I don't have any decent recording equipment.

What are you guys talking about, half of the keyboard recordings I provide are PF! On top of the equipment issue, I ask you how much 'rare' Beethoven stuff you currently have in your collection? If you manage to remedy these two factors I will be happy to withdraw my services.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

One might add that he was assistant court organist by the age of 11, and he had already started composing. His Piano Concerto WoO 4 is really quite remarkable (especially the very mature and haunting second movement) and I think he was 13 when he composed it. Thayer has a great deal written on Beethoven's early life and your local library should have a copy.

Comment

I recall you are looking forward to the flute duet, due next I believe. Considering the recording uses 'authentic' flutes, I presume you will now have a change of heart? I've got a good modern recording too, a better perfomance in some respects, but I'm not going to use it. You could always go out and do something really wild..like BUY it for yourself. I put my money where my mouth is.

------------------

Comment

Change of heart in what respect? Period instruments? No, I still think Beethoven comes off better on modern instruments. But it was not choice of instrument I was refering to here - I was refering to the fact that out of every composer who ever lived, only 2 do you consider being worth your time; and of all the performers playing these two's music, the vast majority you find a great deal of fault with. It seems you are never satisfied!

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 03-07-2002).]

Comment

... I was refering to the fact that out of every composer who ever lived, only 2 do you consider being worth your time; and of all the performers playing these two's music, the vast majority you find a great deal of fault with. It seems you are never satisfied!
                    Alas this is the truth. Most, if not all performers are jacks of all trades (ie composers) and masters on none. When Peter has mastered all of Beethoven's sonatas (and he would be the very first, and would have to buy a Graf piano at least) he can then worry about any other sonatas.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      Alas this is the truth. Most, if not all performers are jacks of all trades (ie composers) and masters on none. When Peter has mastered all of Beethoven's sonatas (and he would be the very first, and would have to buy a Graf piano at least) he can then worry about any other sonatas.

It's too late for me I'm afraid as I'm already 'contaminated' by other composers' sonatas!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

It's too late for me I'm afraid as I'm already 'contaminated' by other composers' sonatas!

Too bad Jack.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          Too bad Jack.

I can live with it, and since I haven't made a cd you don't have to!

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

This reminds me of when some of us bought that CD of the Diabelli Variations Paul List made with some pianist (from back in the edepot days). As I recall, Rod hated it (the Yamaha piano not being the least of the reasons). I still have that, actually - listen to it once in a while too.

Comment

This reminds me of when some of us bought that CD of the Diabelli Variations Paul List made with some pianist (from back in the edepot days). As I recall, Rod hated it (the Yamaha piano not being the least of the reasons). I still have that, actually - listen to it once in a while too.

Regarding this recording. the piano used authentic tuning, something I would support in theory, though it is of less consequence on a modern piano. My principle critisisms were infact directed at the actual sound quality of the recording and also the performance. I too still have this recording but I only play my version by Roberts. There is not an authentic instrment version as yet (as far as I am aware). I'd pay any price to get my hands on one. The more boisterous moments would sound fantastic on a Graf piano.

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-08-2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X