No announcement yet.

Beethoven string quartets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, many thanks to those of you who have responded to this thread. You all make very good points. My plan is not to insist to know what my friend thinks of the quartets. I do not need the CDs anymore since everything is on my PC and my iPod. So he can keep them for a long while. I will let him come back to me with his impressions. I think one needs to want to understand the quartets and be ready to invest the listening time to appreciate them...and that indeed cannot be forced on someone. People tell me that fresh oysters are delicious but I cannot for the life of me bring myself to slide one in my mouth!!!

Have a great year!

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
      I didn't find any of his music "difficult" on first listening, well with the exception of the Grosse Fugue, but I still liked it despite it puzzling me.
      Well said, AeolianHarp. I wonder if I'll ever figure out the GF...
      Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
        Well said, AeolianHarp. I wonder if I'll ever figure out the GF...
        Well, one famous musician - and I can't remember who - said it took about 20 years for him or her to "understand" it.

Also, when I first heard it (in 1973) the sleeve notes on the record said something like this: "If ever a piece of music justified the invention of the gramophone, it's this one as it demands repeated listening to unravel its secrets" or words to that effect.

One thing for certain: it never becomes boring.

Comment

The first time I listened to the Grosse Fugue was when I bought the CD box set of the quartets. I remember thinking "here is something I won't listen to again...." Yet, many years after I go back to it with pleasure and amazement. Still contemporary after 200 years.

Another piece of music by Beethoven which I always find ahead of its time is the Agnus Dei of his mass op.86. The pulsing rhythm at the beginning always reminds me of a Philip Glass like motif. No wonder why Esterhazy could not figure this one out!

Comment

Hello Everyone!

A fresh update on this post from last December. I saw my neighbor recently as we were shoveling the snow from our driveways and making a pause, I asked him about his first thoughts on the CDs of the string quartets I gave him earlier.

The response.....he has not listened to them yet!!!!!!!! Ah well...

Comment

Originally posted by PaulD View Post
              Hello Everyone!

A fresh update on this post from last December. I saw my neighbor recently as we were shoveling the snow from our driveways and making a pause, I asked him about his first thoughts on the CDs of the string quartets I gave him earlier.

The response.....he has not listened to them yet!!!!!!!! Ah well...
              I did say it could take some time to appreciate them!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
              X