Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artist needs help!

Dear and wise people from this forum,
    I'm foreign artist and I just ADORE Ludwig van Beethoven! From everything you posted (and I was reading your forum since 2013), I learned which portraits are good and which I should forget. But I'm bothering myself with one thing. I want to illustrate Beethoven's Ninth, but I don't want to paint only his face, I want to make his substantial figure also visible
    *I want to paint his body too
    Can anyone describe his figure? Or send a portrait or depiction? I would be very grateful! Thanks!
    Pastorale

Originally posted by Pastorale View Post
    Dear and wise people from this forum,
    I'm foreign artist and I just ADORE Ludwig van Beethoven! From everything you posted (and I was reading your forum since 2013), I learned which portraits are good and which I should forget. But I'm bothering myself with one thing. I want to illustrate Beethoven's Ninth, but I don't want to paint only his face, I want to make his substantial figure also visible
    *I want to paint his body too
    Can anyone describe his figure? Or send a portrait or depiction? I would be very grateful! Thanks!
    Pastorale
    I am an (amateur, well mostly self taught) artist myself Pastorale- welcome to the forum and I hope you will join us in all things LvB.
    This is an excellent project of yours. Can you tell me more of your idea? Will you be depicting him conducting, in the act of composing, walking, sitting down etc?

There are a few of him walking, standing etc done by artists over the years. The most important thing I would say, would be to ensure you get his height correct (he wasn't tall) and his way of standing or walking which show his character.

That would help me suggest which portraits might be of help to you. I am familiar with a lot of depictions of Beethoven.

Anyway to start you off I would look at the digital collection in Beethoven Haus:

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...0and%20objects

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...=1511&_seite=1
    Last edited by AeolianHarp; 11-28-2015, 12:32 PM.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

We also have our very own site Gallery, you can browse Sketches and portraits.

http://www.lvbeethoven.co.uk/page17.html
      🎹

Comment

Yes, I forgot to mention that too Megan! Some of the sculptures of him are also very good.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Thank you! I never visited that Beethoven haus in Bonn! It is one of my dreams
          Again, thanks! I'm going to try something. If you wish, I will send you the portrait when I finish. Maybe you'll like it
          Thank you again!
          Pastorale

Comment

Welcome Pastorale -I was just wondering if your project for illustrating the 9th symphony was influenced by Klimt's Beethoven Frieze?
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I never visited that Beethoven haus in Bonn! It is one of my dreams
              Same for me Pastorale.....

Again, thanks! I'm going to try something. If you wish, I will send you the portrait when I finish. Maybe you'll like it
              Thank you again!
              Pastorale
              I would LOVE to see it Pastorale. I think it would be good to put it on photobucket or Box and link it on the forum.

Maybe you and I could start a Beethoven art thread?

I have painted some art inspired by his music, but done no portraits of him yet.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I've been researching those depictions a bit. Now I have one problem more (well, except that I look like this smiley). On some depictions, Beethoven looks very slim, on the others he is plump, than on some he's somewhere in the middle... Can anyone please tell me which is the most accurate depiction of him in 1824?

Peter, I wasn't inspired by Klimt and thank you for welcoming me on this site again.

Aeolian Harp, of course we can! Why not??? I can do portrait thing and you will add magic spark of his music
                Attached Files

Comment

I've been researching those depictions a bit. Now I have one problem more (well, except that I look like this smiley). On some depictions, Beethoven looks very slim, on the others he is plump, than on some he's somewhere in the middle... Can anyone please tell me which is the most accurate depiction of him in 1824?
                  Beethoven was never fat. His stomach ailments ( most likely IBS) caused his stomach to swell at times- this unfortunately got worse as he got older. He was strongly built.

Aeolian Harp, of course we can! Why not??? I can do portrait thing and you will add magic spark of his music
                  Sounds good to me!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                  X